Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM

I nearly wiped out about 10 cycles on Tellico River Rd. in Sept.
They met me on a curve and were way over on my side,so I had a bluff on the passenger side and harleys in front....I know how to drive on mountain roads,so I was as far over as I could get.
The idiots nearly got creamed,just so they could cruise all over the road looking tough...like the were the only ones on the road....they weren't,me and jeep saw to that.
Back to the fishing journal,I had never thought of that it's a cool idea.

Last edited by Rebelsoul; 10-30-2009 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: couldn't spell
Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm putting the finishing touches on one for this year. I have kept one off and on since about 76/77. Looks like I am fishing less, but being more successful when I do. I might fish another few days this year, just depends on the weather and water levels. I'm not much of a fish counter now days and unless the fish is unusually large I don't even make a record of it. I am more apt to record who and where I went fishing, the conditions, hatches, maybe a fly pattern I am working on, and perhaps a note about the flora or fauna I observed I'm just happy to be out and fishing somewhere now days
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 AM

I have start using the "Rite in the Rain" version for some time. It is a nice fly fishing log, but the pages take longer to dry if you are using ink. Also, I usually fill a log up every 3-4 months.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM

I do journal occassionally but would like to have the discipline to do it all the time. I tend to skip it then that gets to be a habit.

Whoever mentioned the speed bumps on the dragon (grouseman) I think that is an excellent idea. I think even as few as 15 well placed ones might do the trick. Put them in the "best" curves and space them out enough to kill the thrill of speeding through there.

My journal for yesterday would be this:

Hadn't fished in over a month due to being sick with repeated cold bronchitis. Finally felt better. Being newly married my wife Amanda (who loves hiking in the smokies) wanted to go with me and we agreed on a hike/fish outing. We were going to hike up the Meigs Creek trail to where it crosses Meigs Creek and she was going to bring a book and sit and read while I fished then we would hike back out. That was the plan anyway. We started out the day by stopping and enjoying Miss Lillies Sunday brunch which was great then we stopped at LRO where I shopped first (part of the fishing ritual). When we got to LRO Amanda went to the bathroom and I shopped. She seemed to be taking a long time and while I was waiting a guy came in with 4 or 5 kids in tow. He was talking to Ethan (i think) about being a deep sea fisherman but wanted to try fishing for trout in the mountains. In the meantime his kids were running wild a couple had rod demos out sword fighting with them and another kid had a fishing net and was chasing his sibling around the store with it. Finally Amanda hatched from the bathroom and told me she was feeling sick. We stopped at the IGA and got her some meds and drove on to the sinks. By the time we got there it was apparent that she wasn't going to be able to do the hike. We had a good time sitting there watching all the tourists though. We decided she could sit in the car and read while I fished a bit so I drove to Elkmont and we checked out the new road work there which is nice. We parked next to Jakes Creek and I fished for about 10 minutes but struck out. I felt bad having a sick wife in the car waiting for me so I returned and we went home. There is always next week

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 11-22-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Adam, a belated congratulations to you and Amanda! IMO, anyone who weds a Russellville girl is marrying up.

Glad you're feeling better.

JF
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Adam, a belated congratulations to you and Amanda! IMO, anyone who weds a Russellville girl is marrying up.

Glad you're feeling better.

JF
Thanks Fred and Amanda says hi! Soon you will be the most famous Russellville resident since we see your maps everywhere we go now. Seen them at the NOC in Gatlinburg. A friend who works where I work has one on his wall here and he isn't even a fisherman but is an avid hiker. I looked closely at it and saw the St. Clair Mapping sig at the bottom when we were talking one day.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Bill Hey, fly fishing lead, at NOC Great Outpost in Gatlinburg and formerly with LRO, was instrumental in getting the maps there. I am a bit prejudiced, but the stream maps are good for hikers as well, provided they are not annoyed by the sights and sounds the sparkling, crystal clear water adds to the outing.

One of these days I want to offer a personalized stream map of the Park, which would pinpoint events captured in a journal such as the one Shawn has. Anyone interested in more information or have ideas for such may email me at fredturner at saintclairmapping dot com.