Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Default Clinch Weekend Schedule

Being new to the area I'm still trying to get a handle on release schedules. Is there a pattern to the weekend releases this time of year from Norris or is it wait and see what TVA puts out later in the day. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:39 AM

With all he rain we have had there is not going to be anything normal about the generation schedules this year. I'm afraid your just going to wait and see.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Post TVA's Recreational Release Schedule

Welcome Ray and maybe I will see you out on the Clinch one day...

Here is something that should help give you a macro view of the release operations. However, please not this changes due to weather/power demand fluctuations. TVA Schedules recreational release weekends to allow for increased time for fishing, boating, etc. on the rivers.

http://www.tva.com/river/recreation/sched_norris.htm

This weekend is scheduled to be the last recreational release of the year for Norris. However; I surmise this will be changed due to the massive amounts of water that have accumulated behind the dam. Plus, TVA has become very worried about 4 of the dam's flood capacity abilities and they have put a high priority rush on increasing their storage capacity.

Always check the release schedule on their website. You can add the mobile version to your phone too...

Hope this helps you be safer...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM

Fished the Clinch this morning and the water came up on me about 45 minutes quicker than normal. I usually have right at 4 hours from when the generators are turned on, but today a little over 3 hours and the water was already up almost a foot. Luckily I wasn't far from my access point, otherwise it could have been ugly. Don't know if TVA came on early or what happened. Maybe the weir pool just wasn't as low as it typically is.

Be careful out there.

As far as the fishing goes, I was surprised to find the water still somewhat stained. I took a temp and it was 55 degrees, about 5 degrees warmer than this time last year.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 AM

The Clinch has been fishing fine for me the last few weeks. No water problems where I have been. Of course, I am just lackey that's happy to stick a couple of fish each time I get out.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the help. I did manage to get out on Sunday and find a few fish as well as meet some good guys. Shawn, hope to see you out there some time.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM

RayK,
I drifted Sunday! The fish were hitting pretty good for this time of year. Water temp was:

55 at Peach Orchard
57 down at Offut Shoals
61 at church

Hope this helps... Seams like most of the size fish are holding in the deep pools.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:33 AM

Shawn,

Sounds like you had a pretty good day. I haven't ventured from the access right below the dam yet which is where I first started. I have to get out and explore more of the river. Still learning my way after a long time away from the sport in Ohio (no trout fishing) and raising the kids. I'm assuming the fishing stays pretty constant throughout the fall and winter assuming you can handle the air temp. Has that been your experience?

Ray
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Talking

RayK,
Well, yes it does for the most part. I mean, you are not getting any significant hatches where you will slay them.

However, you can still catch good fish on any day. I love winter fishing and I think it could be one of my favorite times to fish.

Let me know if you want to get away from the tourist spots and fish for some meaty fish...

Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 AM

Shawn,

Sent you an email to follow up.

RayK