Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 PM

Default How do you store rods in a truck to move from spot to spot?

In the past when I have fished the park, it seems like some days I spend a lot of time moving from place to place up and down the stream.

I have just put my rod in the bed with the tip towards the front corner, and then flexed the rod to get the butt end to the opposite back corner.

I'm not crazy about doing that, and looking for a better method (lifetime warranties are great, but not when you need the rod that day to fish!)

I don't want to go to the trouble of taking them down if I'm not going far (although I guess really I could pull apart the mid sections and stick them in the back seat).

Thoughts or ideas?

What do you guys do?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM

This would work for you for running from place to place at slower speeds.

http://www.profbodkin.com/rodcarriers.html
Old 10-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Down n dirty but works - provided no high speed ventures and type of vehicle...take your rod and secure handle under windshield wiper, tuck rod butt into hood vents (least on a jp cherokee and some trucks) or the crease of hood to windshield area, and line up rod center of windshield...kinda looks like a giant antennae (sp?) and slope of windshield should keep it swept back away from over hanging trees - just pay attention on any reverses...
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 AM

I'm just curious what the time difference is between taking the rod down and storing it in its tube vs securing it rigged up.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM

I do as Waterborn and stick the rod underneath the windshield wiper. I have even drove home on the interstate with a rod in this fashion and it didn't budge. The only issue is if it starts to rain. This way only takes about 3 seconds, tops.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Troutman, now THAT's slick! Those would work great if moving up a stream paralled by a road especially well.
I usually just disjoint my rod near the middle and lay it on the back seat/rear cargo area when fishing alone. If OTHERS are fishing with you, SOMEONE WILL either sit on a rod or throw something on it. Both quality rods and canoes are in greatest hazard when horizonal!
I'm trying to introduce my son to flyfishing [always used ultralight spinning equip. when he was a kid] and this 'Prof. Bodkin' magnetic arrangement would work great on the 'training river'. It's worth remembering just how long it takes a person to get conditionned to the LENGTH of a 9" rod-anything that helps prevent broken tips is worth considering.
Thanks for the link. Ghost
Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Those things are nice but at that price it would be hard to leave it on the vehicle while I was away in the stream. parking and fishing alongside the road might be Ok but if I was in a parking lot at say the clinch or SoHo, it would have to come off.
You notice in that link that they also sell a windshield rod sticker for $6.99. http://www.profbodkin.com/rodstickers.html
Tucking it under the windshield wiper and snapping the blank onto the windshield ought to be plenty secure for one rod as your moving to different areas. Its definitely alot cheaper!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
This would work for you for running from place to place at slower speeds.

http://www.profbodkin.com/rodcarriers.html
That is slick- that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Anybody know if LRO carries them? I leave Friday, so my lack of confidence in receiving something I order by Thursday may prevent me from ordering them this go round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
Down n dirty but works - provided no high speed ventures and type of vehicle...take your rod and secure handle under windshield wiper, tuck rod butt into hood vents (least on a jp cherokee and some trucks) or the crease of hood to windshield area, and line up rod center of windshield...kinda looks like a giant antennae (sp?) and slope of windshield should keep it swept back away from over hanging trees - just pay attention on any reverses...
Never thought about that. I'll have to try it tonight when I get home.

Thanks guys. You've given me a couple of ideas. If I can find the Bodkin holders, that's the route I think I'll go.

Any worries about leaving them attached to the truck while I'm fishing? I haven't heard a lot about any kind of crime in the park, but I guess there's always that chance. I like to think that most fisherman are honest people though.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
You notice in that link that they also sell a windshield rod sticker for $6.99. http://www.profbodkin.com/rodstickers.html
Tucking it under the windshield wiper and snapping the blank onto the windshield ought to be plenty secure for one rod as your moving to different areas. Its definitely alot cheaper!
I like that too...

Any chance LRO has these? (Didn't find them in online catalog).
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Fellas,
That seems like too much trouble for a solved problem. I break down the rod if I travel any significant distance. However, I usually just drop the ski bolster in my backseat and thread it through my passenger headrest.
to choose, to respond, to change.”