Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Default Road Prong - BUST, Walker Camp Prong - BOOM

Made an early fall trip to the park yesterday in hopes of another GREAT day on Road Prong. Nothing doing ....it was my worst outing. Fished up to the third bridge from around 10 - 12 noon without even a strike (using a never-sink caddis and pheasant tail dropper) ....thought I drove the 100+ miles from Crossville and would get "skunked". I decided to give Walker Camp Prong a look after I hiked back down ....boy was I glad. Fished it from 12:30 - 3:30 and caught 27 rainbows (ranging from around 5 - 11 inches) on the same two flies that the brookies refused to give a second look at. Go figure - anyway I turned a BUST into a BOOM and was glad I did not give up.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Kevin,

I think the reason they turned on was the fact that it was later in the afternoon. If you had gone back up on Road Prong later in the day you might have had better results. When we are going in to the fall season, fishing is best when the water has warmed a little bit.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Kevin,
Try getting skunked after driving 200+ miles...I always look at it as a learning experience and a sightseeing trip and head clearing therapy.
Glad you had a good time...I've thought about Walker Camp and plan on trying it out someday soon.
Rick
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Smile I got skunked as well on Road Prong on Sat

Since my slowest day was in low teens, I was horrified when I took a buddy just getting into fly fishing and we didn't catch a thing. We fished from 3rd to 4th bridge. I hooked 2 but lost them both. He saw fish but didn't get any. We were also fishing in early afternoon. Water temp was 49 (did fine Thurs before with 48 reading go figure). Water was up a bit so that may have also contributed to the problem.

You start catching fish and you think you know what your doing, then come to realize...****.... I'm still a NEWBY!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM

Or getting skunked after 300+ miles!!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 AM

I drove 500+ miles just to learn that my choice of campgrounds...Elkmont...had been evacuated due to high water...they let us in on Sunday and that was one angry river...when we could find water we were able to fish the late afternoon story proved correct.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Default well you know what they say...

a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work,or _______ (fill in blank)
Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Default I can't tell, (or won't admit)

...how many times I have drive from Florida to Tennessee or even Georgia, only to get skunked. One Thanksgiving I drove to NE Georgia while my girls went to Disney, I got in late and didn't try to fish till the next morning. I went to a DH stream and just after i got my gear rigged and waders on, then began a short walk to the stream, one of the guys (that care for the stream and "feed" the stockers with supplemental feedings of pellets), drove up on a 4 wheeler, tossed a bucket full of pellets in the stream and drove off. Nothing I offered these fish seemed to have even the slightest appeal. I ended up packing my gear back up and leaving for the drive back to Florida about an hour after having first arrived at the stream.

All in all I love those mountains of Tennessee, Georgia, and the Carolina's so much that just standing in one of those beautiful streams is reward enough within itself (usually)

At least in the Park, there aren't stockers (for the most part) that are fed and thus what happened in Georiga doesn't happen there so to speak. However I have on more than a few occasions found myself skunked while fishing in "Middle Prong" and also near Elkmont, only to notice worm containers and empty corn cans stream-side. IMHO, that was as bad if not worse than the Georgia situation.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Rather than admit I was skunked on 2 rivers the same day, I will just say
I spent 6 hours practicing my casting. Even the warpaint shiners were not biting.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
...how many One Thanksgiving I drove to NE Georgia while my girls went to Disney, I got in late and didn't try to fish till the next morning. I went to a DH stream and just after i got my gear rigged and waders on, then began a short walk to the stream, one of the guys (that care for the stream and "feed" the stockers with supplemental feedings of pellets), drove up on a 4 wheeler, tossed a bucket full of pellets in the stream and drove off.
Mike

Mike, you need to tie up some pellet flies.

Jeff