Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-07-2009, 09:35 AM

It has been a while but in my early days of fishing the Little River above Elkmont it was not uncommon to see local oldtimers with their cane poles walking the banks and drifting wet flies through the runs....saw many a stick loaded with more trout than I had.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM

I've seen an older fellow do the same on Cataloochee. He caught a lot of fish. Me I like casting. It's part of the total experience. I get a lot of enjoyment in placing a good cast in a difficult place. Thanks my two cents. Silvercreek
Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM

There is a cane pole hanging in a fly shop in east TN over the desk. I commented on it and the proprietor told me that a native could outfish about anybody with one of those long whips.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM

I've fished with a flyrod in creeks all my life but only recently when I started flyfishing did I start casting.
My old Wright & McGill 9' fiberglass that was used mainly like a cane pole with a line and hook weighted with a splitshot or two has caught everything from largemouth to catfish,and rainbow stockers,but mostly black perch (redeye) and sunfish.
When I started learning about flyfishing I learned what I had been doing all along was either "dappling" or "highsticking"....I guess.
I'm going to try more of that method with nymphs.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Guys, are these rods telescoping? Are they basically a cane pole? I could see roll casting all day in those mountains.
That they are, indeed.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:05 PM

Very interesting. I could see me using one in the mountains.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:48 PM

Where can I get my $500 sage and $800 winston tenkara rod?

I think this is going to create a lot of headaches in the long run.....

Funny thing is that it is a form of commercial market fishing in Japan.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Let's see if I got this right?....take an old idea, give it a foreign origin, charge more for the product and then call it "new"?

did they explain what kind of line the tenkara line is?...looks like a braid
Old 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM

I'll revisit this thread, since I'm going to try it first hand. I'll give you a review when I've come to some sort of "real world" conclusions. I can see from this old thread that there's alot of misconceptions about what tenkara is and isn't. I'm planning on finding out for myself if it's just "glorified cane pole fishing" or something more.

I've even set up a new blog to chronicle the events, if anyone is interested in an old fly fisher trying to learn new tricks...

www.artoftenkara.blogspot.com

It seems as though tenkara has never really caught on here, and I'm thinking that's too bad - but I won't know if it's "too bad" or not until I've actually fished the thing. lol

Off the top of my head though:

* No one "made up" tenkara to sell rods. The history is well documented. Not only in Japan but in Italy too, strangely enough.
*The line is either a tapered braid, or a level braid(from what I can tell. I have lines coming and I'll see what is what in a couple of days)
*You actually "cast" the line and the fly like a traditional western fly rodder would. You can "dapple" it, but that's not what it's meant to do.
*The tenkara rods are much lighter than cane poles and much more flexible than cane poles as well. Whereas the cane pole fly rodder dropped flies into the holes, and the cane pole bream fisher flopped a long, rounded cast overhead, the tenkara rod is used to cast the line and achieve a drag free drift in braided currents.( that at least sounds handy for our area, doesn't it?)

Again, once I get my hands on the thing I'll let you know if it was worth the price of admission or not. It's far cheaper to get set up for fly fishing with tenkara than with a Sage or Winston, although there's nothing wrong with nice conventional rods, mind you. My main concern isn't the fact that I won't be pulling any double-hauls with this thing - it's that while fishing our mid to small sized creeks I'll bust the tip off in the trees. We'll see how that goes. I'm notoriously unkind to rods, unfortunately.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:55 PM

My uncle James used to absolutely wear the crappie out on Cherokee Lake back in the coves up in the willows in the spring using a cane pole and later a telescoping fiberglass job. Flies were lead head jigs we tied up. Those were the days.