Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-18-2010, 08:23 PM

A friend from this forum gave me a tenkara knock off type rod that he got real cheap somewhere. It was a telescoping job that would telescope out to like 11 feet or something. I thought it would be great for backpacking cause it is lighter and I dont have to carry a reel or as much stuff like a rod protector as it just slid into my water bottle pocket and was very sturdy. I took it to cs 18 this year and it didn't work too well. Just because it was a cheaper one though. It came apart on me. I did manage to catch one 5" rainbow on it though before it finally came apart. It was fun to try and I would like to try again sometime I think but I missed my TFO rod and reel even though truth be told I don't cast much in the mountains and rarely use the reel. I just feel more like a trout fisherman with it for some reason LOL. The tenkara is much more convenient for backpacking though I will admit.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 12-19-2010, 04:06 PM

My TFO four piece rods break down pretty small...
Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 PM

I suggest you do a google or Bing search for tenkara rods. I thought I had saved a rodmaker but I must have deleted it. There was a thing on the 'Net where the top tenkara expert from Japan was in NY state, putting on a seminar using a translator. One of the pictures was of Joan Wulff using the tenkara rod. I have used the a similar system on many small streams where I only used the fly rod, a foot or so of line, the leader and tippet to drift nymphs or dry flies through pools and runs. It is very effective.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Have you guys ever been backpacking and saw a nice hole and wanted to fish it but didn't want to mess with putting your rod together rigging the line through then tying on a fly for just one hole. I have experienced that many times. In the past I have solved it by just carrying my fully assembled and rigged rod with me but that can be a pain especially if walking miles in rough terrain aka the smokies.

One huge advantage I did see of Tenkara over my TFO was I could collapse the Tenkara quickly and tuck it into my backpack side water pocket. I spooled the line up with fly still attached. Then while backpacking along a stream if I saw a hole that I just couldn't pass up I had my rod out, expanded and line unspooled in less than a minute I would be fishing it. Not much pain to it, no tying on flies or threading through guides. When done I just wrapped the line around the spool (aka peice of foam) and collapsed the rod and kept on hiking. That was the one real advantage I miss with my TFO. That being said I am still sticking with the TFO but may try the Tenkara stuff again in the future.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 PM

Smile

Like many of you here I thought this would be the perfect thing for backcountry & going to places such as 3 forks where rhodo hells can often be found since it could break down really small. And to take with you on hikes where you might end up fishing a hole or 2 that Crockett describes above.

Then I tried fishing with a cane pole last summer. After only a few hours of fishing I was wore out. My arm hurt from my wrist to my elbow. I only caught a couple, but lost many more. It taught me how much of my successful hook set in the smokies was a combination of lifting rod & tugging on my line. Without being able to tug on my line, I found the fishing real tuff. Although like anything else I'm sure alot of it comes down what you are used to and I'm sure my skill set would go up with some more practice. Furthermore, since leader was a fixed legnth it was harder to fish some tight spots that would have been np problem with a rod & reel set-up. I think this would be less of a problem out West

I'll also stick with my TFO 4 piece for now.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Took the Tenkara to the Tuck today, all I can say it was a good day.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 PM

I think we get used to not bending our wrists on a fly rod and when we have to hook set without the line pull we forget to cock our wrist back and simply raise the rod. Just a theory.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Like many of you here I thought this would be the perfect thing for backcountry & going to places such as 3 forks where rhodo hells can often be found since it could break down really small. And to take with you on hikes where you might end up fishing a hole or 2 that Crockett describes above.

Then I tried fishing with a cane pole last summer. After only a few hours of fishing I was wore out. My arm hurt from my wrist to my elbow. I only caught a couple, but lost many more. It taught me how much of my successful hook set in the smokies was a combination of lifting rod & tugging on my line. Without being able to tug on my line, I found the fishing real tuff. Although like anything else I'm sure alot of it comes down what you are used to and I'm sure my skill set would go up with some more practice. Furthermore, since leader was a fixed legnth it was harder to fish some tight spots that would have been np problem with a rod & reel set-up. I think this would be less of a problem out West

I'll also stick with my TFO 4 piece for now.

Ducky I have enjoyed your maps on your site and reading your posts on the other forum about the Green Camp Gap manway and Starkey Creek. I am friends with Kevin Umberger and Jenny B. from that site. Went to the nekkid lady on shop creek with Kevin earlier this year. It's a small world the Smokies...

Hey Jack (JAB)...