Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Default First Time Fishing in The Smokies

Well, after 3 trips up to the mountains (from New Orleans) and a couple visits to LRO for inspiration, My wife, brother-in-law, and I will be making our way up to the smokies the week of October 20-25. They want to hike and see the foliage (as do I) but I would also like to try my hand at fishing. I just started flyfishing last year, mostly in small ponds in local parks (read: no moving water at all (I don't even know what a drift is )). I have a 7'6" 3wt, which I figure is pretty good for fishing the park (Also have an 8wt for saltwater, but it has yet to get a bend in it ).

We will be staying in Townsend (Whisper Wind Cabins)and probably go as far as Greenbriar (I think we are hiking Ramsey Cascades). So on to the questions:

1 - Good places close by to try and land my first Smokies fish.

2- I am assuming waders are necessary (I don't own any as of now) are there any placesto fish from the bank or should I convince my wife that I need them (Argument: "Hey Hun, I was thinking about getting into duck hunting so they could serve double duty")

3- What flies to use?

4- What licenses? I am sure I will hit LRO the first day to get all the requirements, flies, and maybe a map.

5- I usually use straight 4 or 6 pound mono for leader/tippet (bream don't particularly care - I could probably use 20lb.). What is normal for the Park for leaders and tippets.

I am sure I will have more as the time approaches. Any other nuggets of info would be great.

Thanks in advance, ya'll. I can't wait, I've never been in the fall andcan't wait to see the colors - Also, I really enjoy birding, so hopefully I can get a little of that in.

Brian
Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 AM

I was in the park in June and was able to bring a rod along on the Ramsey Cascades hike I did with my parents (who don't fish) and I was able to stop a couple places along the way up to catch a few brookies. It's a long hike though, so I'd recommend bringing your rod case, slinging it over your shoulder and stringing it up only when you want to fish. As for flies, I'll let the guys who are more familiar with the current patterns answer that one. Have fun!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:45 AM

I'll trade you!!! I'll show you what I know about the trout if you take me for a duck hunt! nah,I'd never get to Louisiana.... anyway, go to a bass pro or some place like that and buy the cheap, "breathable", stocking foot waders (not rubber). I bought mine for like 50 bucks and I wear 'em for both early season ducks and trout.
Seriously though, I will be down that weekend...maybe I'll see you on the water....for now I'll let others fill in the rest...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingfisherB View Post
Well, after 3 trips up to the mountains (from New Orleans) and a couple visits to LRO for inspiration, My wife, brother-in-law, and I will be making our way up to the smokies the week of October 20-25. They want to hike and see the foliage (as do I) but I would also like to try my hand at fishing. I just started flyfishing last year, mostly in small ponds in local parks (read: no moving water at all (I don't even know what a drift is )). I have a 7'6" 3wt, which I figure is pretty good for fishing the park (Also have an 8wt for saltwater, but it has yet to get a bend in it ).

We will be staying in Townsend (Whisper Wind Cabins)and probably go as far as Greenbriar (I think we are hiking Ramsey Cascades). So on to the questions:

1 - Good places close by to try and land my first Smokies fish.

2- I am assuming waders are necessary (I don't own any as of now) are there any placesto fish from the bank or should I convince my wife that I need them (Argument: "Hey Hun, I was thinking about getting into duck hunting so they could serve double duty")

3- What flies to use?

4- What licenses? I am sure I will hit LRO the first day to get all the requirements, flies, and maybe a map.

5- I usually use straight 4 or 6 pound mono for leader/tippet (bream don't particularly care - I could probably use 20lb.). What is normal for the Park for leaders and tippets.

I am sure I will have more as the time approaches. Any other nuggets of info would be great.

Thanks in advance, ya'll. I can't wait, I've never been in the fall andcan't wait to see the colors - Also, I really enjoy birding, so hopefully I can get a little of that in.

Brian
KingfisherB--Going on my Grandpa Joe's adage which ran "He who tooteth not his own horn shall not hear horns a-tooting," I'll humbly suggest my recently published book "Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider's Guide to a Pursuit of Passion," has answers to all the questions you raise. It's available through my web site or Little River Outfitters. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingfisherB View Post
Well, after 3 trips up to the mountains (from New Orleans) and a couple visits to LRO for inspiration, ...

2- I am assuming waders are necessary (I don't own any as of now) are there any placesto fish from the bank or should I convince my wife that I need them ...
Brian
Brian, I recommended waders. BTW in addition to supplying inspiration, LRO has a nice lookin' closeout deal on Chota Abrams Creek Mens Stocking Foot Wader.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/home.php

Enjoy your trip.

JF
Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 PM

Please add to your list.

6- (felt bottom) wading boots...you WILL slip and can break mutiple bones and body parts if you try walking along or in the streams without wading boots.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:09 PM

You can see suggested flies to use on LRO's website and once in Towsend I'm sure LRO will show you a few to use. Keep reading the message board before you go and you will pick up a few flies here as well.

Above all though
Relax, Be paitent, and admire the beauty of the stream. The fish is the bonus the treasure is the beauty of the surroundings.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:17 AM

Brian,

First of all let me say: I am the worst Smoky Mnt. fisherman on this board. But, I did want to share the little that I have come to know and that is; Do NOT EVER wade in the middle of the river/stream if you can help it. If you can hide behind something, do it. A tree, a rock, whatever you can find to get behind, coupled with a LOT of stealth (being quiet) goes a long way. I had tried several times and gotten nowhere because I was too noisy and too noticable. I've had some success since I started doing these things. You probably already knew this, but just in case. Hope it helps.

Dwayne
Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Yeah...spooking trout is far easier than I ever knew,and I'm a wader from way back....it's just they are spooky fish....more so than other types.
And Blue Raider....you ain't the worst fisherman by far,I'll bet I could give you a good run for those honors,and the older I get the clumsier I am...so felt soled shoes are going to help me on my next trip....next trip...get it...
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM

We'll call it a "tie"