Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-13-2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I still haven't made up my mind, but am leaning toward glass if I can afford it. Rebel Soul, wasn't me at Tremont, I don't think I've been to the park since a spring trip to Abrams, may fix that next week if I can pull myself away from the tailwaters.
Mike
Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago. I'll be 19 at the end of the month, and was having a lot of trouble with my Oakleys. I didn't want to spend much, but I know the saying "you get what you pay for." My Oaks fogged up really easily, and the polarization was terrible compared to my dad's Serengetti's.

So I started looking at Costas, and knew I'd be spending more than $150, which is tough for a college student. I knew the 400s would run me about $150-$175, and 580s would run me $200+. And lens color KILLED me. This is basically what I figured out:

-Blue: Open water, on bright days
-Green: Wade fishing, works on bright and grim days
-Copper/amber/yellowr: high vis fishing
-Grey: very sunny days

So I ended up buying Costa Del Mar Blackfins black frame with the green mirror 580 lens, which would have ran me $230 in stores. Got on eBay, found them for $175 shipped. It's hard to find the style you want, in the frame color you want, with your lens choice, and the correct lens color.

There they are
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Sunglass Brand

I was going to start a new thread, but I found this one..

So, what tends to be the preference for the brand of sunglasses? I have been looking at Smith Optics and Oakleys. I wanted a style that I could change lenses so I can go from the amber/copper fishing lens to a grey color for everyday use.

I wont be just fishing in them, so I wanted something durable. That seemed to be a cool thing about the Oakleys- the lady at the store explained this as she wrapped a pair around her finger and they sprung back into correct form.

Also, considering I am a college student out on his own, cost should be taken into account. I work at the mall and I can get a discount on Oakleys or Maui Jims.. and a couple of other brands that I cant recall.

As always, any help is appreciated.

Best.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 PM

I got tons of strike king glasses darkgrey nice i dig em, copperrybrownish nice for lower light, and I totally love my rose called "vermilion' shades for fishing the flats in the bahamas or other tropic like areas. I guess i spend to much money on travel...and boats...and rods..and flies..and beer..and Yea cheap glasses are the way to go for me so when i lose a monster Red or trophy Brown and I give my glasses the ole Nolan Ryan i ain't out much chedda!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"