Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM

Back before the advent of catch and release most fishermen in the Park were there with the idea of putting something on the table....the only times I have ever noticed a drop in the number of fish has been after a natural intervention....drought or flood as an example....it has been well established on this board that there is only a certain number of fish that can be sustained within any mile of the Park's streams....unless some of these fish are removed there will be an over population of fish competing for a given level of food...this results in stunted fish. I have read repeatedly in the past years about the small size of the trout being caught. This was happening years ago on Tremont and then one summer the Park tried to fish out the rainbows to work on a brook trout program...that program never got off the ground but the next year there were just as many fish but bigger all around. Last years drought has had the same result in the Park this year....fishing above Elkmont last week it was clear that the fish coming to hand were much heavier than in the past years....keep returning the exceptional fish to the gene pool but don't be afraid to catch and release some of those trout into your local skillet and enjoy a little bit of what is a natural part of the experience.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I know I hope no one ever questions me about what I am doing when I put one. two, or 5 in my plastic bag. I'm getting my supper and its really none of their business.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM

My comment was in regard to the small size of some of the fish.

Speckleman5,
Actually, if you put up pictures on a public message board-then, you are making it our business and people will comment how they see fit...

Additionally, I think it takes objectionable comments sometimes to bring import issues to the table and then we have supper...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-10-2009, 07:06 AM

We threw back a lot of 6 inch rainbows. The smallest I kept is a 7 inch brown. I understand both sides and concerns guys. I simply follow the guidelines for keeping fish if I keep any at all (which is rarely). I do keep if I go to Cherokee , but they stock a million fish a year according to their website. Then again, I leave all fish in the park since the park is aimed towards preservation. Every one is entitled to their own opinion, and I believe it is fine to believe in keeping your limit or releasing them all, whichever the fisherman sees fit, as long as he/she doesn't surpass the guidelines set forth by the government agency that sets the limits based upon research they have done to see how many fish can be taken without devastating the population of the stream. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions and getting different points of view........just don't get too heated in the argument.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Well said tjw37909.
That is why we have fishing regulations.
If we were not supposed to take an occasional fish from time to time then they would not taste so good in the frying pan or on the grill
Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Great reply! I understand your perspective and respect it... It is good to discuss issues like this once and a while...

No worries... it helps to educate and promote good fishing...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-10-2009, 11:43 AM

I haven't kept any fish that I've caught in the park,which are mighty small and few,and I have wondered what kind of remarks might be made if somebody sees me keep a few to eat,naturally I can understand the reasons for releasing the better ones,and really for me with my fishing abilities,it's hard to understand how there can be x-thousand(s) of trout per mile,but I'll take their word for it.
But I do want to have a mess for supper in the future.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM

I worked all night last night and barely slept this morning, but after having a dream about fishing then waking up and seeeing how overcast it is outside I have got to get up and try to head up MPLPR, a.k.a Greenbrier, and try to do a little fishing.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Your right to let the breeding size go back. As long as you're within the regs, everyone else should keep their thoughts to themselves. Even catch and release can be overdone IMO. Good fishing.