Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Default Best place for big browns

I have made a last minute decision to fish in the mountains in the morning. I have been reading the fishing reports lately to hear the browns are starting to become more active. Just wondering if anyone was willing to give me some suggestions on where I might have the best chance to catch a big brown in the park. I am thinking around elkmont on the little river. But I have never gone looking for big browns during the fall, so if anyone has a better suggestion than elkmont I would really appreciate any help.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

no suprise that no one had any suggestions. this may be too late for you, but I have caught some big browns (20+ inches) right in metcalf bottoms, specifically the upper section. I also like a hole locally known as the spring hole, its above metcalf about a half mile or so from where the stream goes back to the right side of the road, it is where the beaver dam was all last year. I have also caught some very nice fish right at the elkmont campground.
Now I dont really fish for big fish only, but I catch my fair share just using a size 14 pheasant tail nymph. I always use split shot, and very seldom see them before i catch them.
You also dont need overly deep water. knee deep riffles with deep water near by seem to produce the best for me.

good luck
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 AM

2weight...Do you wade at Metcalf?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:47 AM

I went up above Metcalf last week after Browns one afternoon. I had talked to Daniel and got soem suggestions but was just by myself exploring. I got in over my chest waders twice! Still haven't caught a Brown yet, I can't seem to break through that one.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Try fishing the LR above the Elkmont campground...last week my friend had a big brown come out and follow a small bow that my friend was bringing to hand...he said it was wildest thing he has ever seen....thought the brown was about read to swallow the little bow whole
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Having done a lot of fish sampling with shockers and seines, I can tell you it is a real education to see what fish actually live in "fishless" waters. Everyone should try to work a seine along a shallow undercut or into a set of tree roots.

Anyway, I don't think it is a matter of where to find big browns in the park, they are there, its HOW and WHEN. 1)Fish opposite and away from the easy accessed sides of stream, if you can, 2)fish at dusk or dark cloudy rainy day,or when the stream is beginning to get color, 3) Stay out of the water as much as possible, 4) Provide a significant food source for them to take a streamer or large nymph worked on the bottom, 5) remember fish hunt or flee by feeling vibrations before sight

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum