Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 10-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Question FALL-WINTER Boat Projects - ?

Just wondering if anyone is planning on updating or upgrading their boats this Fall/Winter...?

If so, post some ideas and I will see if I can help you with any issues...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM

Hi Shawn,

I'm planning to do just that. This vessel will be used in fresh and saltwater. I have a lot of ideas but I won't go into all of them in detail now. Our new boat is aluminum and the floor gets slippery when wet. Paula slipped and fell recently. I plan to have a non-slip application sprayed onto the floor and on two of the bench seats plus the added casting platforms. Maybe there is a better way. I want to move the batteries to the bow under a front casting platform with a hatch. The batteries are Optima AIG so they can be mounted at an angle or even on their side. We need more weight up front.

I want a casting platform in the stern. A friend of mine in the sheet metal business has offered to make a custom dash board for the electronic devices and electric switches. This boat has tiller steering, electric start and power trim all built in and controlled from the outboard. The boat will have movable folding seats that can be placed anywhere on a pivoting base with non-slip feet. We have a new transom mounted Minn Kota 55 pound thrust saltwater trolling motor. We want to add a Minn Kota ST 55 with Autopilot on the bow. Right now there is not enough support for that motor so something will have to be made.

It seems you are into customizing boats either as a business or hobby. I'm glad to have you here to help me and others. Thanks for being here buddy.

The boat is a 2009 Lowe Angler 1667 with a Merc 20 HP 4 stroke and a 20" shaft. The motor was bolted on about 2" higher than normal. The hull weighs 275 pounds, has a capacity of 1,000 pounds and has a 67" beam. I want to keep it light. We can run around wide open and fish all day on about 2 gallons of fuel. We have a woodworking shop that we use to build store displays. We can do anything with wood. I found some 3 gallon tanks. Two can be placed under the stern casting platform with plenty of room for other stuff plus my legs.

Byron
Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Just added a sweet new GPS system, new seal kit, water pump, stainless prop, push pole caddy, chopped off the POS stern light that was sticking out the poling platform where I had sooo many opportunities to kick it over? battery op stern light on a vise type grip is so nice, new leaf springs on the trailer..check em out salt water friends they will rust through and they will leave you dragin a boat without an axle (seen it...ugly) and of course a new SC state flag! Chase reds now, and tarpon next summer in Fla! Hey Madison do you ever work with casting plaforms for the bow?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM

Byron,

Have you looked at Hydroturf? It's what they use on jet skis. I'm restoring an old aluminum v-hull and have really heard some great things about using this as a deck covering. From what I can tell, it's basically high-density EVA foam. I had them send me a few samples in the mail. It seems ideal for what I want to do. I'm planning to lay in a floor and then top it with this stuff.

Also, check out Tinboats.net. That's where I'm getting my crash course in boat modification.

Last edited by Green Weenie; 10-21-2009 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Thought of something else.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Rod Holder

Guys,

I have a River Hawk boat for running up and down the Caney and local lakes. I want to add some rod holders. I am thinking of mounting two pieces of PVC on the sides. The back piece would have a gap in the top to place the rod inside. The front piece would allow the rod tip to slide in for protection. The problem I am facing is how to mount these pieces. I would welcome any suggestions or any other ideas. I just don't like the rods sitting free in the boat. I don't want to bother Winston with my misstep.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Carolina Boy,

I have a YETI cooler that straps down in front of the helm, but also doubles as a casting platform on the bow. The mounts for the straps are non-snag when you don't want a platform on the bow.

Last edited by EARTHWORX; 10-21-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Sorry Byron for the delay in responding. I have been a little under the weather for a day or so...

Shoot me a pic of your boat and I will see what I can come up with for some ideas...

With Aluminum boats and small boats; we need to maintain weight constraints.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for offering to help. I'll send some photos soon.

Byron
Old 10-31-2009, 06:23 PM

Hey EARTHWORX what model Yetti are you talking about?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-01-2009, 12:40 PM

Carolina Boy, I have the YETI Tundra 45 QT. You can check them out at Yeticoolers.com. Like I said I chose the tie down over the corner chocks in front of the helm, those chocks are murder on the bottoms of your feet when you don't have a cooler on board. After I got it installed I ordered an extra set of tie down bracckets for the bow. Works great. Also, would you be intrested in some advise for " Da-Skiff". I noticed something in our picture that may help it.

Herb

Tags
advice, diy, ideas