Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 AM

Default prescription polarized glasses

I'm a glasses-wearer and am wanting some polarized prescription glasses for fishing. I don't really like sunglasses (especially really dark ones), but the glare off of the water is killing me. So, Can anyone recommend a source/website/brand of glasses? What can I expect a resonable pricerange to be?

--Matt
Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM

Most places that do regular glasses can do prescription polarized glasses. Orvis does prescription glasses. As a cheap alternative get some of the plastic clip on sunglasses. Be sure to check that they are polarized though. I like the ones that clip around the lens frame and match the shape of your lenses. Many drugstores, Walmart etc sell these.

Last edited by silvercreek; 10-16-2009 at 09:12 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Mine were costa del mars. My optometrist carried the line and I ordered mine as a second pair of glasses. I say mine were because I have lost them and am going to have to get another pair when my next eye oppointment gets here.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the responses... I tried some clip-ons but they were really dark, and to me the polarization didn't seem very good. The darkness messed up any advantage that the polarization might've given.

I'll have to check with an optometerist...
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM

Prescription lenses are the best bet. I have the clip on's in amber and gray and they do not seem too dark. I keep them in the car just in case I forget the prescription set, or when I do not want to fool with a full set of extra glasses. My biggest complaint about the clip on's is that if the light is somewhat behind you, the light seems to bounce between the clip on's and the regular glasses. regards, Silvercreek
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Anybody tried the orvis brand prescription sunglasses?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:54 PM

I know I 'm the one that suggested Orvis, but I'd stay local if I could. The first pair that I got years ago was a mail order deal from a supposedly reputable company. Not Orvis. They were not right, but I could not get the company to do anything about it. At least local you can present yourself in person to argue the matter if they are not right. If you cannot go local, check out their guarantee first.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 PM

Default First Post

Wow. I've been lurking on this message board for several weeks but this is my first official post. Now while I'm a newbie to fly fishing and have nothing to add that would be helpful, I am an Optometrist and this is an area that I might be able to assist.

Polarized glasses is like a fly rod, you really get what you pay for. Quality of polarization, aberrations, UV protection, lens material, Abbe factors, weight, and light transmission are all factors that come into play.

I will like to add, that I have been really surprised what a demand this sport puts on your eyes. Between the glare on the water, the often times poor lighting, difficult contrast, and I still don't know how anyone can keep track of some of those really small dry flies. So I would think anyone that fishes regularly would really want a pair of prescription sunglasses with the best corrected visual acuity. Another distinct advantage of a prescription pair of sunglasses is the ability to add and Bifocal/Progressive to assist in tying on that next fly.

Thanks everyone, hope I was able to add something to the discussion.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 PM

I agree about demand being on your eyes. Sometimes when the light is just right, I'm amazed at how well I can see... see to wade (in the smokies without stepping in a hole and breaking an ankle) see the fish, etc. Then the light changes or I move up to the next pool and can't see crap for the glare. The same thing happens in the evenings, as it nears dusk. I go from being able to see ok to nothing but glare.

Maybe I've been a good enough boy that Santa claus will bring me some glasses...

--Matt
Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM

If you order perscription suglasses do yourself a favor and get them anti-glare coated. Also, and this will sometimes take the optometrist by surprise--get the coating on the inside (eye side) of the lens, not the outside. An anti-glare coating works better on the inside (eye side) where it will reduce reflected light bounced back into the eye. Most of us spend our time looking downward hoping to peer into a dim spot (deep hole, shaded hole, etc.) underwater. You'll find that the clarity looking into shadows and dim areas in direct sunlight, especially direct sunlight coming from behind you is much, much better with an anti-glare coating on the back of your sunglass lens.