Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM

Default Big Park Rainbow!!

Hey all, i don't post much on here, but visit regularly. I only make it to the mountains about twice a year if im lucky so i kinda feel like i don't have much that i can share, but when i do, i do share.

I came down on wed. night for what was supposed to be a 4 day camping/fishing trip that got cut short. When i called home to check in with the misses friday evening she informed me that both she and my daughter had gotten the swine flu, so i packed up camp and headed back to KY. They are better now, and somehow, ive yet to get it, knock on wood.

I did get in two good days of fishing, and thursday being the best. I was fishing this certain creek and came to a huge pool. I cast my #12 orange stimi w/ green copperjohn dropper up stream and it landed exactly where I wanted it. I mend the line, and all of a sudden I see this big, dark shadow come out from under a rock and sip that stimi right off the top. I set the hook and the fight was on. As i got the fish in close i reached and grabbed my small trout net off my back and quickly realized, How the **** am i supposed to fit this thing in here. It was a 17" rainbow. I couldn't believe it. Man talk about a rush. Once i got it in the net i let out a loud WWWOOOOO. So if anyone heard such nonsense about 11:45 thursday morning, it was me, and for good reason . I quickly got to the bank and laid my rod down, very carefully held the fish and net in the water and grabbed my cell phone. I had to take a picture of this if nothing else but for proof. The pictures are horrible, but like i said, i just wanted proof. I quickly snapped a couple and got her back in the water. She was a beautiful fish, the pics don't do her justice. I thanked her for giving me the pleasure and gladly watched her scurry away back to the dark hole she came from. I did a little happy dance and about fell face first into that cold water. Needless to say I walked around with a **** eatin grin on my face the rest of the day. Then about 3 casts later i caught an 11-12" brown in the same hole. It was a great day of fishing with about 25 fish brought to hand. Then the next day on deep creek i missed a big brown that was as big or bigger, just got a little ansy and set the hook too quick, man was that upsetting. All in all it was a great trip, and i got a park fish of a lifetime.

Like i said, the pics are horrible, sorry. I took them more for proof than anything. I don't have a waterproof digi yet and the boss won't let me take the good camera for fear ill drop, and i probably would. But christmas is coming.

This pic i just snapped it and threw my phone up on the bank so i could get her back in the water. When ever you need a buddy there to snap the hero shot, they're never there right.... Oh well, i have a vivid memory of her and ever since when i close my eyes i see her rise up and sip that fly right off the top, and thats what counts. (side note-the copper john dropper was caught in my net, not her gut as it appears)
Old 10-11-2009, 09:18 PM

just to add, i did mark her length on my rod,scrathed it with a rock, and measured it as soon as i let her go, And she measured 17".
Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Nicely done, bredmon. Beautiful fish. Not a lot of those buggers caught in the park.

BTW, if there was swine flu in my house, I believe I would be spending a few extra days fishing instead of driving back. You're a good man.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 AM

Nice fish but I am not where "certain creek" is haha
Old 10-12-2009, 11:02 AM

Beautiful Bredmon!! Thanks for bragging, I mean sharing. I would be telling everybody if I ever landed one that size up there, nice!!!!! Congrats!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Default Big rainow

Super nice!! That will definitely keep you coming back.

Hal M
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Nice fish! One of these days...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Nice fish. I was curious where you caught it.

The reason for my curiosity is the size of the fish. I haven't seen a wild rainbow that big since I was in Montana.

If you don't want to tell, that's fine, but there aren't really any secret creeks in the park are there?

Scott
Old 10-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Lots of secrets in the park....
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM

You're right.
And most of those the average man won't put forth the effort to get to.