Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Ducky,

My brother and I really gave it great efforts to get to the "Holly Grail" of the far most section of the Headwaters. I dont think we were ever able to get more than 2.5 miles upstream from our first Camp. 2.5 miles upstream took us 2 and a half hours solid hiking just to get back to camp and it was as hard a place to navigate as I have ever been. As Jim pointed out this is the most rugged place I have ever attempted and is real slow going.

So to answer your question we packed up camp and hiked around 4 miles upstream to the next Campsite. All up hill

We are already talking about making plans for next year and our goal will be to find the best way to make it to what we call the "Holly Grail" of the far most headwaters of this stream. This will take some planning and research.

I would love anyones email that would be will to discuss a recommended route.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Do a search for that stream on this board. There was a great discussion on it this past spring.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Hey mac, I'm heading down to the NC side of the Smokies come late March. Any way you could tell me where this stream is? I understand if you want to keep your favorite spots a secret. Just let me know. Great pictures, by the way!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 AM

I don't think the location of this area is a secret to anyone who reads this board...likewise most of the posts have echoed the sentiment that this is not an area to fishing when the water levels are even at their "normal" stage...since most of the streams in the park are fairly full in early spring a March trip may require a close look at the water levels.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM

bias5246, I would be happy to help with any information you would like about this area, as far as I know.

If you would like to email me at william.mclemore@ngc.com I will try to answer any question you have.

With that said I think Rog1 is right on. This area in my mind would not be a spring trip but more of a fall or late summer when the water is low.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Oh, man. I'm gettin' the itch to go back country fishing real bad! GREAT post. I'm super duper jealous of not only the fishing but also the fact that you escaped for almost a full week!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 AM

Nice Pictures Mac. Love the specks. Thank you for not posting the name of that stream on here. There seems to be alot of that happening on this boatd lately. Were you were fishing was a truly special place and I hope you enjoyed it to the fullest.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:15 AM

WNCFLY,

I hate to be rude, but I don't think you have spent that much time on this forum. Information has been shared on this board for years, even on the old version that existed before the current one. As long as long as posts do not become overly confrontational, offensive, etc. pretty much anything goes. As far as I know, you're not a moderator, so your opinion counts for the same as the rest of us. Other boards have different policies on sharing information and that is fine if that's what the owner of the board supports.

Frankly, I don't need an infrequent poster like yourself trying to influence my posting or others. To be honest, I don't share as much information as I used to on the Park, but that's my decision. I don't tell others not to post info and never will.

I understand your concern about fishing pressure in the Smokies. Things have changed a lot in the last 12 years or so that I have been fishing these streams. I have walked several miles a few times in the last few years to find that someone is already fishing that water, it sucks, but I just have to walk further or find another alternative. The world has changed in many ways and not all for the good, but that's life. Either adjust or not, but telling other people what or what not to do isn't kosher IMHO. We are all in same position, it's a matter of enjoying the sport and making the best of what is.

Neal
Old 02-25-2010, 10:25 AM

Neal...I fully agree with you...things have changed quite a bit in the Park over the years...on some days I will see more fishermen in areas that require a 3-4 mile hike than I did when I was young and you could drive your car to the same area....but it is hard to begrudge somebody their day on the water if they are willing to put in that kind of effort...there just are not that many areas of the Park that can be considered "secret" anymore especially with the number of forums on the web and the "where to fish" books that have been published....I know you used to live in Florida as I do and your access to the park was limited...I think if you look at the diversity of the members on this board a single post is not going to change the fishing habits of too many people....on this particular post I think that you could fly a banner over any UT football game naming its location and you probably wouldn't get more than a couple of extra people on this water...keep posting because I have always enjoyed your insights.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM

I personally don't think overcrowding is much of an issue in the backcountry. Take the little river trail for example. It is probably one of the most traveled/fished areas of the backcountry on the TN side yet when I walk up it 3 or 4 miles and get to my destination to fish I almost always pass miles of water that no one is fishing not to mention all the side branches coming in that hold fish. I tend to have the opposite impression. I think there are so few fisherman deep in the backcountry that sometimes I would be happy to run into another one so as to know I am not alone.