Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Fishing near bowling green ky.

Hey.I go to school in bowling green and trying to find some fishable water close by that would be farily good anybody have any ideas.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Look at Trammel Creek. It' right in your backyard.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Ya i went down there the other day and started at the blankinship bridge. I cought a few fish but most were this years stockers. I was worndering if there might be any carry over fish there and maybe if there was a place that didnt get hit as hard as that area look liked. But it was a neat place to fish.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 AM

Default Hello Hilltopper

Trammel creek access is down near Petroleum KY. Most folks fish near the Concord Methodist Church. This and some other KY sites have been posted elsewhere on the board. I have been over to Trigg County to hit one of the streams over there and Sulphur Creek in Simpson County. These are the stocking sites around BG.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 PM

all these areas get hit hard. day after stocking, the garbage cans and sometime the river banks have the empty corn cans. Same is true at Sulphur and Casey creeks.

The cumberland is east of BG about an hour and a half but it is not really a bank or wade kinda water.

Some of the other folks on the board can discuss fishing the Cumberland
Old 10-16-2009, 03:38 PM

If this is the first time you've fished trammel at blankenship, you're seeing a "brand new" stream. Several hundred yards of the stream were recently reworked by KDFWR. Warm water at cumberland has forced higher than usual numbers of stock rainbows at trammel. I fished it monday and was amazed at the number of fish. Spend some time there and you will find the hold overs. based on what I saw there should be plenty of rainbows to grow throughout the winter. Also check out Jennings creek for a quick trip. It is practically within the city limits. I'm usually able to pick up a rainbow or two when I fish it in the fall/winter. Jennings is spring fed and the fish always seem very healthy.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:08 PM

I haven't been there in a while but at one time, KDFW was stocking Roundstone Creek near Munfordville with rainbows as well. Maybe some other posters will know if it's still in the stocking rotation.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the ideas guys I look forward to researching and getting out and trying these streams that you all have recomended. I got to go over to the trammel on Sunday with my a buddy who goes to tenn. tech. He gets to fish the canny fork everyday so i told him i was going to show him a little change of senery. We only hooked one fish but it looked about like a 12'' bow be it shook off right before we landed it,but we had a blast up there, anyways thanks again for all of the help.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Default kytroutman is right

Yep they stock that Roundstone in Hart Co.

Here's the link for stocked streams
http://fw.ky.gov/troutstreams09.asp
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Don't under estimate trammel

Like drodgers said, put some time in. Ive been fishing trammel since i was 12 (im 26 now), and fly fishing for the past 3 years. Its where i learned to fly fish actually. it can be tricky fishing. Its a little different than fishing the mtns. The water may not be as clear, but its a rather slow moving, spring creek. The trout have a lot more time to inspect your offering. Stealth is really important, longer casts with longer leaders on light lines helps. Especially fishing the really slow pools. And since ive switched over to more neutral colored lines (grey, olive, willow, etc) ive been having better success. The browns down there are only about 5-6 in. when they are stocked so by the time they get to 10+ in. they get just as tough as wild browns to catch. I fished down there the other day and caught close to 30 trout most were bows, but included several 11-12 in browns. Spend some time down there and you'll figure out where the hold overs are at. A good indicator if its a hold over or not will be the white lining on the fins, by the way. Trammel is also great small mouth fishing as well, ive caught several 15+ in. smallies down there. they really like crayfish patterns, jerk them across the bottom with quick jerks, and pausing in between.

tight lines
Brad Redmon

Last edited by bredmon930; 10-20-2009 at 11:38 PM..