Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-15-2009, 12:31 AM

Talking First tied fly

I went to Bass Pro today and picked up a White River FLy Shop beginner fly tying kit that Lefty Kreh endorses. It came with a vise, all tolls exceot whip finish, and a generous supply of different feather, dubbing, hair, wire, thread, and hooks. I bought a whip finish and some extra pheasant tail, hooks, and beads. The first bead head pheasant tail I tied looke just like one I bought at LRO...............after I had caught several fish, rock, and trees with it haha. To say the least it was rough looking, but each one got progessively better. The online videos and the instructional dvd that came with the kit were helpful, but once I got started, just looking at a bought fly seemd to help more than anything. I got a little carried away and started putting random flies together just for fun. I am going to try the trophy section in Cherokee tomorrow (weather permitting). Maybe the big fish will seeone of my tied flies and think they are a pitiful, mortally wounded nymph and decide to put it out of it's misery.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Congratulations but we need PICS!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM

I couldn't get a good pic, but here is a size 12 and 8 that I tied. Hopefully they will get better with practice.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 PM

They look OK to me for some of your first attempts Try to tie 2 or 3 flies every day, you'll be surprised how quickly you will develop your skills. Pay close attention to proportion, and try to learn as many new techniques as you can. Fly tying is about stringing techniques together. The more techniques you know, the more types of flies you can tie.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 PM

Thanks. The smaller ones are easier for me to proportion. Tried to tie a couple big ones to use earlier today on the trophy section, but nothing seemed to be working over there
Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 AM

Stay away from the gold beads on that section of water! Muddlers kill em, black boogers, olives too, Wear em out...big dummies, bu they don't dig the bead heads bruther

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 10-16-2009, 05:18 AM

Thank you. I wish I had known that earlier. Some of that water rolls pretty good. How do you keep the flies down? Split shot? Haven't done streamer fishing yet. I have some woolies but they are beaadheads too.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:48 AM

3X or 4X with the muddlers I put a good size split shot right on the nose of the muddler, for girddles and other minimally weighted bugs I put split shot 6-8 inches above fly, I don't get to scientific with the placement, howevr I am a big believer in the "one more split shot can make a difference" theory, last time I was there I only had this tiny split shot, so I added a bunch 2 times I drifted it through a run and nothing, added one more shot, BAM fish on. Black buggers are good there too, there are some older fellows I am frineds with that due to limitations they fish that strech a good bit, no one talks about or uses gold beads there and I ain't hooked on on a gold beaded pattern yet, Be ready though cuz they can hit hard and fast and you can break off easy or just miss em

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 PM

I found that out when one hit my 5x yesterday. About two seconds of reel spin then a snap. I need a bigger net just to land one of those things without wearing it completely down If I do ever keep one on.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Don't gold beads work better in the Smokies? I think I read that on here.