Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Elkmont Oct. 23-25

will be camping and wanting to fish, any suggestions? would using dry fly by itself be better or go with dropper off dry? if using dropper, how far should it be from dry fly. my catalooche trip got rained out. will be there rain or shine, wifes birthday trip, thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 PM

Smile

EPLR above the campground usually fishes pretty good. I generally place my dropper about 18" below the dry. I would probably use some type of small bead head nymph. Read Byron's fishing report every morning, It's usually contains a good brief summary of what is going on. I almost always fish two flies, either a dry and dropper set up, or 2 nymphs. Good luck, take some photos, the fall colors are going to be special this year I think

Last edited by flyman; 10-15-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
EPLR above the campground usually fishes pretty good. I generally place my dropper about 18" below the dry. I would probably use some type of small bead head nymph. Read Byron's fishing report every morning, It's usually contains a good brief summary of what is going on. I almost always fish two flies, either a dry and dropper set up, or 2 nymphs. Good luck, take some photos, the fall colors are going to be special this year I think
Ok flyman, I'll bite. I've seen reason 42 on several edits of your other posts, as well. Judging by the humorous nature of most of your posts, I have to believe there is some story behind it...so whats the deal? What is reason 42?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-15-2009, 11:58 PM

First of all; Pitch Black I am in no way trying to hijack your thread. I expect these guys to add something for the information I am about to give them

Pete=42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything Caution, reading the following link and the informaintion it contains will probably change your life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases..._to_the_Galaxy
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Default Learning something new everyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
First of all; Pitch Black I am in no way trying to hijack your thread. I expect these guys to add something for the information I am about to give them

Pete=42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything Caution, reading the following link and the information it contains will probably change your life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrases_from_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy
I was not familiar with the details of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so it didn't click with me. Thanks for the link - I feel completely different already!!

Here is the cliff notes version:
The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42. The problem is that, even though the answer to the ultimate question is 42, unfortunately the ultimate question remains unknown....

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened....

Pitch Black, Let's get back to your question (sorry for the hijack). Unfortunately we have a cold snap coming so your best bets are probably going to be with nymphs. Bring a thermometer with you and if the water temps are below 50 or so you will probably be best with nymphs. I'm not a big fan of nymph fishing (although I know I need to be to catch more and larger fish...). I think a double rig nymph setup will more than double your chances. Here are two articles which will give you some ideas (Tellicos, BHPTs SMMBBSHs and Princes are all good subsurface flies in the park - as are many others):
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...ng_double.aspx
http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...em_combos.aspx

Good luck!!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."

Last edited by PeteCz; 10-16-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Smile Pete CZ Those are some nice articles you linked to

And exactly what new fly fisherman like me need to learn. While I have almost exclusively fish a tandem rig, I never realized all the combinations that could be made for different conditions.

I hope pitch black found it useful also.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
And exactly what new fly fisherman like me need to learn. While I have almost exclusively fish a tandem rig, I never realized all the combinations that could be made for different conditions.

I hope pitch black found it useful also.
I also found it useful. thanks, never trout fished this late in year before
Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM

pitch black,
Take it from me, it's never too late (did I really say that?) in the year to fish the park streams. It gets more challenging and you have to be persistent (translated as "too stubborn to give up") but you can catch fish year round in the park. You may be fishing 5 or 6 hours for that one little trout that never saw a fly before, but it can be done. Best of luck - you should be in for some fun this early in the fall.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I agree useful article/link I am a beginner and have yet to try the dropper setup would have tried today but the the water was moving very very fast! I tried a nymph with no luck because I have no clue how it's done but when the water recedes I am going to try.