Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Glen Casada on Smokies Flyfishing Myths

I read with interest Glen Casada's article about Smokies Flyfishing Myths in the last issue of the Little River Journal. One of the points he made was that 9 or even 10-foot rods should be used. I would appreciate a list of at least some of the rods that he recommends.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM

Hi Smctrout,

I agree that Jim was right on in his article. I started fishing in the Smokies a long time ago and thought at the time I needed a short 6' to 7 1/2' rod. I was wrong. They are in my closet now and I never use them. I don't think there is a list that would fit his preferences but an 8 1/2 foot to 10 foot rod would be fine to fish here. I would choose a 5 or 6 weight if you want to go long, up to 10 feet. That way you could use it for other species and on large streams with big flies. You would need to make the decision based on your preferences as to fast or slow. I would choose a slow rod for roll casting and tippet protection in the Park. I use a 8' 3" 4 weight or 8.5' 5 weight when I fish in the Park.

Byron
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM

I picked up a 9' 4wt St. Croix Avid from LRO earlier this year and love it. I started fishing with a 7'6" 3wt TFO a few years back and really liked, but I never seem to take it with me to the Mtns anymore. The extra length really helps with mending and keeping more flyline off the water...

Go big or go home!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM

I have been considering a St. Croix Avid 9' 5wt.,I'm glad to see that you like it Pete.
I've been using a TFO 7'9" 4 wt. and although on really tight places I like it,when there's room to get out farther I find the need for a longer rod.
I fished for 40 years with a 9' fiberglass Wright and McGill,and the reach is there when you need it.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:37 PM

I am glad this has been brought up. I am trying to decide on a rod of longer length myself. I like to do deep nymphing and swinging heavy buggers through deep holes. Since casting isn't a real issue in the smokies which would be better a medium action style rod of a faster. I am trying to decide between a Sage Z axis or a ZXL by sage.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
I am glad this has been brought up. I am trying to decide on a rod of longer length myself. I like to do deep nymphing and swinging heavy buggers through deep holes. Since casting isn't a real issue in the smokies which would be better a medium action style rod of a faster. I am trying to decide between a Sage Z axis or a ZXL by sage.
Depending on your casting style, one could go fast or slow.

Two rods you really should consider and test cast if you can are the 9' 5wt Scott G2 and the 9' 4wt Winston BIIt.

These two rods have become my go to rods. Niether are fast but they are not slow either.

Just a thought.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Flyred,
I have the sage z axis 9' 5wt.and really like it and would make the same purchase, with that said in the mountains I use a less expensive rod in the 9' 5 wt. because I have a habbit of falling and don't want to make use of the warranty that came with my sage. The 9' length is for keeping the line off the water not for casting. My sage is used mainly for tailwater fishing.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:03 AM

I took a good fall a couple of weeks ago with the TFO in my left hand and of course both hands went down instinctively to catch myself,I thought for sure the rod would be broken but it wasn't.
After I buy another one I should probably take both...just in case.

The "fast/medium/slow action" thing still confuses me,what would the St.Croix Avid cast like?..I know I should try one out first,but might not get a chance to. Mainly I'm looking at the length first,I'm just an average caster at best.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM

RS, I have three TFO Pros (two 8'6" 3wts and a 7'6" 3wt). The St Croix Avid 9' 4wt casts about the same as the TFOs (both the TFO Pro and St. Croix Avid are listed as Med/Fast) but the Avid is more stout through the handle and has a better feel to me, when fighting a fish.

But everyone's casting stroke works best with different rods, so I would highly recommend trying a few out, if for nothing else than to test what you don't like...

And remember, if you do fish in the mtns, its not a matter of if you will break a flyrod, but if your rod manufacturer will repair it and at what cost, when you do break it...TFO and St Croix both have great Warranties, as does Sage, I believe...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks Pete,
I'll just try to go to LRO and test a few....that would be the best I'm sure.
I just hope that a rod is all I break in the mountains....after all,I go it alone most of the time,always have,but now I'm getting into the old geezer zone.
Rick