Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-19-2009, 12:06 AM

Default fall break Smokies trip

Sorry for such a late report. We were in the Smokies from the 10th to the 12th. We had a great time fishing and just being there. Anyways, here's the report from our trip.

Saturday, we went to a crafts festival in Waynesville for my mom, and she loved it. We saw some cool artwork of trout and the mountains too. The next day, we went to Cataloochee to hear the bulls bugle, so my mom could see the valley, and so we could do a little fishing. We first saw everything in the valley and then we went and had lunch at the campground. Then, after lunch I decided to wet my line in Cataloochee Creek before we headed over to Caldwell Fork. I can tell you, it was a good idea. After only a few casts with my elk hair caddis I had a fat 9 inch rainbow in my hands. That fish got me pretty revved up for the rest of the day.

After I caught that rainbow, we headed over to Caldwell Fork. The fishing was tough for my parents, but I caught around 10 fish. The best fly was a yellow or orange stimulator. To start it off I caught a nice 8-9 inch brookie. Then, I caught another brook trout and a rainbow. After that I caught two 8-9 inch browns only to find out that I had just caught the slam and didn't have a picture of a rainbow. So with only about 20 minutes until sunset I caught another brown, and then to my luck a nice chunky rainbow. I was really excited about getting that last rainbow and couldn't wait until the next day.

On our last day in the Smokies, we decided to go to Bunches Creek so my Mom could catch a brook trout before we had to leave. It was true to its name a very foggy, smokey day up in the mountains with a light, drizzly rain. Anyways, we started down the trail to the creek, and when we got to the creek walked downstream a few hundred yards. Then we let the stream settle for awhile. After about half an hour we started fishing. We all started off with orange stimulators and they seemed to be the ticket. The fishing that day wasn't as good as compared to the last time we went there, but we all caught some fish and my mom caught her first brook trout, and she actually managed to catch 4 out of 1 hole and 4 out of another. My dad and I also caught a few with the best one from that day coming from me. The brookie was a nice 8 incher and he came out of the same pool that my cousin caught a good one out of last time. We ended the day with about 20 to 25 fish. Finally, we hiked out, went and got some early dinner, and started the long trek home. I hope everyone has a chance to go fishing and see the fall scenery it's still good.

I will try posting some pictures tomorrow.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Daniel,
You hit it just right...I pulled into Cataloochee Tues. afternoon and after setting up the tent fished for a little while and caught a couple of small ones, a brown and believe it or not a small speck.....after that it rained all night Tues. night,most of the day Wed.,and off and on Thurs. morning.
Needless to say the creeks were rolling and I didn't catch much of anything,just a small brown.......and got a good dunking in Big Cataloochee after slipping on a big slick rock and diving in headfirst.....it was cold...but I didn't drown,I'll bet it was a funny sight if anyone would have seen it,I didn't hear any laughing so I guess nobody saw.
I tried to fish Caldwell branch Thurs,but it was still rolling.
Glad you did so well...and man,ain't that a beautiful place! it was my first visit but not my last Lord willing.
Rick
Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the reply. The Smokies has the water right now. Also, you're right about Cataloochee. It is beautiful and interesting.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM

Here are some pictures from our trip.

A big, lonesome bull elk in Cataloochee.

an awesome mountain view in Cataloochee.

my slam on Caldwell Fork

heres another picture of that brookie

the colorful brown

and last but not least the rainbow

my mom's first brook trout

me with a nice brookie
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Daniel,
Thanks for sharing the great pictures and congratulations on the slam,all I needed was a rainbow to have the slam but it didn't happen.You're getting a great start on fishing the Smokies.
How far up Caldwell did y'all go?
Rick
Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM

We only hiked for about five minutes on the trail until we reached the spot where the trail comes right down next to the creek. Then, we fished for a few hours up the creek from there. So we only got a little ways up from the confluence. The farthest we got was about 200 yards past where the tiny feeder Den Branch comes in.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 10-21-2009, 08:49 AM

That's about as far as I got the other day and gave up because of the high water,I hope I can get back when it's in good shape because it looked like a great branch to fish.
Rick
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM

I think you're right about it fishing good. I also think the fishing like most streams would only get better as you move upstream.Now that i'm thinking about it, we didn't see any other fisherman there, but only hikers for such a nice day.That might mean that it doesn't get very much pressure. Lastly, I only caught some average sized browns, but it wouldn't suprise me if there were some big browns in there right now since the spawn is on and since it dumps into Cataloochee Creek. I could be wrong about this, but I do think it's a good stream.

Daniel Koeppel