Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks Jim,
It makes me feel better now that I know you have done it too.
I kinda thought about the flipping thing also,that maybe the trout came up and bumped the fly and I set the hook as his tail was brushing past it.
It would be interesting to watch trout take flies from an underwater view,I remember you saying that specks aren't real good at taking flies.
Rick
Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 PM

Default That's a Roger

Listen to Jim. Specs really aren't good at taking flies. I would stay out of spec waters altogether if I were you. Don't waste your time going after them. They'll just break your heart.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-26-2009, 08:00 PM

Rick and nvr2l8--There's some truth here. Specks won't break your heart; they'll steal it and first thing you know you've lost a corner of your soul to these speckled jewels which betoken everything wild and wonderful about the high country. It happened to me the better part of six decades ago and the ensuing years have been an eternal quest for a Holy Grail adorned with bright red dots encircled by blue halos, vermiculated olive backs, white-edged fins, and, at this season of the year, brilliant hues of the sort normally reserved for sunsets.
I caught a bunch of 'em last week in Pretty Hollow Creek, and if there's anything more lovely than a hook-jawed 10-incher in full spawning regalia I've yet to witness it.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
Listen to Jim. Specs really aren't good at taking flies. I would stay out of spec waters altogether if I were you. Don't waste your time going after them. They'll just break your heart.
Ha! you don't have to worry about me catching them all,I just caught my first one this fall,and funny thing it was just a small one around 5 " but it was something that I had wanted to catch since I first heard of them years ago....I just waited until this year to fish the Smokies.
But like Jim said,it was a jewel and I'll never forget my first speck in the fall of my years.