Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Default Americorps planting willow in GSMNP?

'Somewhere' over my long weekend at Nantahala I read/heard that the NPS with Americorp 'help' was planting willow on Smokies trout stream banks. Sorry I can't specify attribution-I'm big on picking-up all the 'freebie' literature and scanning it for errant area info.

If it's the same willow that I had to deal with on Michigan trout streams, somebody has screwed-up! It's the old kudzu debacle all over again. Laurel hells aren't bad enough:-)? Any facts? Ghost
Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 AM

From this article, it looks like they are only planting it in the cades cove area. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescienc...vegetation.htm

Jeff
Old 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks, Jeff. I shoulda searched the park site I guess.
It's a problem for sure when the 'erosion control' plants become a problem themselves-like kudzu and willow. Willow will grow-in so thick that you can't get thru it-like weeds rather than individual scattered bushes. Nothing eats it that I'm aware of [no browse lines in Michigan evident] and it's worthless as wood.

Other than a kids 'home made' bow or fishing pole, I've never seen it used for anything. Goesn't even supply birds or insects with anything that I'm aware of. Beaver use it in their dams some IIRC. Good places for snakes to hide:-). Ghost