Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Default Side roll cast

This has to do with technique,but is useful in the Smokies as well as any area and am interested in finding out if any one else uses this cast.20 years ago when i got back into flyfishing,I had trouble getting a drag-free float standing in the run below the tail of a pool.The increase in current when it hit the rapids ruined my float.Standing above the tail of the pool,a dump cast worked some ,but not real satisfyingly.Ergo the side-roll cast.I sweep the rod upstream sharply and rotate in a full circle,ending with the rod upstream of me and the cast rolls out downstream.I am now in a position to let the rod ease down ,allowing the fly to float dragfree for 10-15' or more if I have slack I can feed.By starting on one side ,I can ease accross,covering nearly the entire tail of the pool with dragfree float.Remember to hesitate a split second before setting the hook.Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM

75-80% of the time, my favorite.

Of course 64.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
75-80% of the time, my favorite.

Of course 64.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
I think it was Mark Twain who said "There are lies,**** lies,....and then there are statistics."
Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Swampus, are you fishing upstream or down? I use a reach cast to fish the tail of pools while standing below the tail. I flip the line sharply to the side and forward to avoid the drag that would occur if the line were in the riffles below the pool tail. Thanks for the tip. Silvercreek
Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Sidewise

Downstream.Going to try fishing nymphs this way when I come to Gatlinburg Nov 15-22.Got a week at Westgate I have to use or lose.Then I'll be at my place in Bryson City to try the "trophy"section again.Might be cold fishing,though.Have to cut off pants at the knees and sew on wool bottoms like the Mountain men did!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Is this for right or left handed casters, and which side of the stream are you standing on?
Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM

Smile Flyman

It's ambidextrous and stand on the side with the most fish.Really,it doesn't matter.A thought just occured to me-when fishing a nymph this way-at the end when you have run out of line and stop,the nymph should rise in a natural manner.A Leisenring Lift?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 PM

It's interesting, Swampus. When I went fishing Tuesday, I thought about how I was approaching the stream after reading/answering your post. I used your technique less than I actually thought that I did. Most often I cast to the right or left but at a sharper angle (i.e., more upstream and less across stream) than I realized. Funny, how memory blurs reality.

Now, I'll have to admit that some of my most comfortable casts are standing at one side of the stream, casting to 2 o'clock when I'm on the right side of the stream or 10 o'clock from the left hand and letting it drift down in front of me and below as far as possible. I've caught lots of fish that way.

What I really like to avoid is casting straight upstream and having the fly float right down on top of me. Though, I remember vividly doing that once on Walker Camp Prong, having the fly slide right past my leg and have a trout take it not 3 feet behind me. Sometimes when you least expect it.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 AM

Funny how you develop your casting method and then you have to stop and figure out how to describe what you do.I have reread the original post several times and realize that it's something I do but couldn't have described it as well.
One question about something similar,"down and across" while nymphing,does it mean what it says,that you cast downstream from where you're standing and bring it across the flow?
Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 AM

Cool DOWN ax

Rebel-Down+across for dragfree requires a dump cast although sideroll could work.Seems most down x is for streamers or wet flies we used 45 yr ago.What I described is mostly straight down w/ a little variation.Started doing this to avoid bank veg.The line stays out over the river,parallel w/river.I'm old w/arthuritis and steel knees and don't like un-nessary steps to retrieve flys.