Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Default What does it look like?

I was planning on fishing tomorrow either on Walker Camp or hitting the trophy section of Raven Fork. Or I may try LR......who knows. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what the water is looking like after this night and day of rain. I am guessing it is rolling. Any info on water levels and colir would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Hi TJW,

I didn't look when I came home. If you go to Stream Info on the Fishing Report you can look at the gauge information. So far the river is not up much. It may be too early to tell. It has rained all day but it has not been heavy. The gauge is at 2.3 feet right now. That is strong but certainly fishable. Be careful wading.

Byron
Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw37909 View Post
I was planning on fishing tomorrow either on Walker Camp or hitting the trophy section of Raven Fork. Or I may try LR......who knows. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows what the water is looking like after this night and day of rain. I am guessing it is rolling. Any info on water levels and colir would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
tjw37909--I'm not sure what you mean by "the trophy section of Raven Fork," but I'm assuming you are referring to the catch-and-release, fly-fishing only area controlled by the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians.
We could debate the "trophy" designation, since I can't get too terribly excited about hatchery-raised fish, but one of my best fishing buddies absolutely loves such situations. Different storkes for different folks.
However, if the N. C. side has as much rainfall as the Tenn. side, this portion of Raven Fork is more likely to be muddy. The reason is simple--it has flowed through several miles of area where people live, where there are roads, where there's plowed ground, etc. In other words, greater likelihood of erosive run-off.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Thank you Byron and Jim. Yes I was referring to the catch and release fly section. I like wild fish more too, but I also like knowing I have a great chance of hooking something big and fighting it for a while. I looked at MPLPR and Cosby Creek this evening and they both looked really good, so I will probably just hit one of those adn save some gas money since I am right in the middle, 5 miles or so from each stream. As far as the "trophy" debate, my three trophy fish are a 4 inch rainbow from Dunn's Creek in my back yard(literally) as it was my first fish on a fly rod; a 3 inch brookie from Cosby Creek (my first speckle); and a 7 inch brown from the Raven Fork 2 weeks ago since it was my first brown. Those are my true trophy fish, but the big ones are fun(and expensive when they snap your leader and take two flies in the blink of an eye). Thanks again guys. Have a great night and stay dry.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM

tjw37909,

I love the trophy section also. I had two great days this spring on that stretch. It doesn't fee at all as an artificial endeavor to me. In fact it's not really that different from a state stocked tailwater. Anyway, I'm afraid that it will be high. I was hoping to make another trip over there this fall myself. Time will tell I guess.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 PM

I was up there the week after the 4" rain that had the rivers angry all week....did find some fishable water in Straight Fork and caught some nice browns and some8-9 inch specs...also fished the LP in Greenbrier area....starting from the first bridge after turning over Porter's Creek we had some good fishing even with the high water....I did leave a really nice trout in the pool just below the bridge up against the bank....it rose to a EHC which is what we caught most of our fish on that week.....good catching and let us know how you did.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Most everywhere is ripping, I'd go high and small
Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Why does it always rain on or just before my 2 days off and knock me out of fishing haha?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Water was fishable yesterday a bit strong but it's been like that since I started fly fishing 2 months ago I'm afraid if it goes down I might not know how to fish LR was crystal clear but more soaking rain all day and night it never seems to stop. Glad to know now that I have caught some trophies!

http://thetroutguy.blogspot.com/ <<some pics of my trophies I just like being out there, catching a few fish is just a bonus to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Spotlight, those are nice trophy fish you caught. I consider any fish I catch a trophy fish ! That is a tasty , buggy- looking fly too. I am writing a book on all the trophy brown trout I have caught. It is a very short book.