Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-31-2009, 09:03 PM

RUMOR MILL- guide license & 1 day trout open for discussion during December meeting!

5 fish limit made it

Byron

I believe a quality river will bring tourism, Lord knows these forums have brought crowds to the CF & any other river that is fishing good(not knocking forums here). Look at the number of license sold in Ark on account of quality streams.
Crowded streams such as the CF will need as much stocking as normal on account of the numbers taken, even with the new creel. One holiday weekend this year, TWRA reported 5900 people, Granted, not everyone of those were fishing,gives you an idea of the traffic we see on the CF.
If they stock less fish, hatcheries could lose Federal funding, once lost, they'll never get it back
Less fish could lead to stronger growth rates, a better managed generation where the river bottom is kept wet & covered would really play an important part in insect growth, raising the levels & droping it off isn't the best answer IMO.
Being they say there isn't any natural reproduction on the CF(i still argue that fact), i would like to see some smaller fish stocked & given the chance to "grow wild". I would love to have egg crates planted into the river & have them naturally raised in the river on an experimental basis to see if that would work.

These are just a few of my thoughts or want's for the river, everyone may not agree, heck, half the folk don't agree with me anyway

To all those that sent letters & e-mails, my hat is off to ya & Thank You.
Can these regs be brought to other streams, YES voice your opinion for them.

Now, if ya'll will scuse me, i need to go trikr/treating for a sugar high

Grumpy
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 PM

Dang Grumpy,

5,900 people? I had no idea. I heard it has been crowded and I have not fished there in almost 20 years. Thanks for the info about the 5 fish limit making it. I'm writing an article for the Journal and didn't know if it passed the full Commission vote. That was a big step. But, this whole thing was a big step.

Take care buddy,

Byron
Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 PM

Here's another thought. A 3-day non-resident + a trout stamp costs what I pay for NC annual non-resident including trout. Embarrasses me to ask a friend to come here and fish.

steve
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 PM

Glad it passed.

A situation close to here in Indiana ended up with a big fight, threats and even reports of vandalism. It came off as a bait fishermen/locals against fly fishermen thing. Don't think it was the case, but there were some limits on bait and multiple hook lures (i.e. rooster tails) that upset the locals. Heard stories of guys fly fishing having rocks thrown in the water around them and even reports of cars getting keyed. The regs didn't pass.

I've avoided the fishery all summer as I just don't need that kind of thing in my life. All it takes is one hot head coming in contact with another hot head and things get ugly fast. So far, no reports of violence and the last news indicates some things have cooled down. I may go back over the winter and give it a try.

Glad it didn't resort to that in Tennessee.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Glad it passed.

A situation close to here in Indiana ended up with a big fight, threats and even reports of vandalism. It came off as a bait fishermen/locals against fly fishermen thing. Don't think it was the case, but there were some limits on bait and multiple hook lures (i.e. rooster tails) that upset the locals. Heard stories of guys fly fishing having rocks thrown in the water around them and even reports of cars getting keyed. The regs didn't pass.

I've avoided the fishery all summer as I just don't need that kind of thing in my life. All it takes is one hot head coming in contact with another hot head and things get ugly fast. So far, no reports of violence and the last news indicates some things have cooled down. I may go back over the winter and give it a try.

Jeff
Boy that is getting out of hand isn't it? There is quite a bit of water with those regs in VA and don't remember a stink when they changed them. Just wondering was in the whole river or something?

STU
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Glad it passed.

Jeff
They've been generating nonstop, we're all pissed off in seperate places! We haven't been able to make it to the river so that situation could even arise.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE]Boy that is getting out of hand isn't it? There is quite a bit of water with those regs in VA and don't remember a stink when they changed them. Just wondering was in the whole river or something?/QUOTE]

Well, this particular tail water runs right through the middle of a small town in Indiana. The dam is not that larga and the trout water only stretches for about 3 miles below the dam.

The best I can figure it out is there was a proposal to limit bait fishermen to using circle hooks, limit artificial to single hooks (no treb hooks) and put in some kind of slot limit. Currently, the limit on browns is 18" and 1 per day and there is no size limit on rainbows and a 5 fish per day limit.

These limits are rarely enforced. I fish there probably 10-15 times a year and have never had my license checked so enforcement is spoty at best.

Then someone wanted to do some stream improvement by putting rocks in the river which hacked off the local kyakers and canoe people. (In the 30 or so trips I've made there in the past 2.5 years, I've seen exactly 1 kayak on this stretch of river).

Now, some of the local fly fish club guys did get a little elitist on the local worm fishers and started slinging insults at the bait and spin fishermen. The fly fishing side was not blameless in this mess either.

Personally I have avoided the area since this all started. It is a silly fight.

In my mind, it's just not worth the discussion. It is a tail water with stocked trout. If the bait fishermen foul hook a few, who cares, the state is always stocking more. If the state cared, they would enforce the existing regulations. If poaching is indeed the problem the fly guys claim, what makes them think new regulations are going to stop it?

Anyway, I never got involved in the fight. But the sad point is there are reports of some cars getting keyed and tires slashed and rocks being thrown and insults being shouted. Bottom-line, I'm not fishing there until this blows over.

I guess I'm just getting too peaceful in my old age. There are still some things worth fighting over, but a 3 mile ditch filled with stockers, to me, isn't one of them.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 AM

Byron,

I'm all for the lower creel limits although I'm not sure that would do a lot of good on put-and-take streams like the Tellico. Not many of the stockers survive the mass of people that go there just to take a stringer home...whether it be 5 or 7. I spoke with the lady at the Green Cove market not long ago about the possibility of adopting a permanent catch and release section up there and she said that would probably never happen since the daily permit fees for Citgo/Tellico allow it to be self-supporting. The Tellico could be a fantastic fly fishing stream but its not managed to support that outcome.

Joel
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM

Hi Joel,

Maybe Tellico is not suited for this type of regulated fishing. I don't think Little River in Townsend is. A friend of mine who lives on Little River brought Paula and I a smoked trout today. He caught two limits in two days then smoked them. I can't wait to eat it by the way. Little River in Townsend is a perfect put and take stream. I don't see anything wrong with that. These tailwaters have so much potential as a trophy fishery. TWRA has to manage for all types of anglers.

Byron
Old 11-02-2009, 08:44 PM

I had an interesting conversation at the Knoxville Commission meeting with people who have been involved in these differences for decades. I heard something that made a lot of sense. Fishermen don't like to be told how they have to fish. But they don't seem to mind if you tell them how many or what size they can harvest. Slot limits, size limits and creel limits are common everywhere and pretty much accepted, freshwater and saltwater and for hunters. But, don't tell people they have to use flies, can't use bait, can't use spinners or release everything they catch. That becomes a battle that can't be won.

Byron