Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
You should come to Nashville and check out Gruhn Guitars...Nothing like a $30,000 strat to open your eyes.
Blue,
I've been there and yes, it's a very (VERY) dangerous place.

I recently sold my Les Paul to fund some other purchases.
I have 2 Martins. One, my wife knows how much I paid. All she knows about the other one was it was a "little" more.
Ovation my dad bought when I graduated from High School in 1978
Seagull 12 string
no-name campfire beater
Epiphone Les Paul bass.

Gruhn's is a divorce lawyer's favorite place. Also, the guitar store in Seveirville - the one on the main road through town - is also a dangerous place. They had a really nice old Gibson J45 there a few years back that almost came home to Kentucky with me. Had Leslie not been with me that trip, I think it would have been added to the collection.

LRO is also a dangerous place for me.. The good news is Leslie sees the money saving potential in tying flies.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:59 PM

more than i need but not as many as i want!!!!!!!!!!!! my wife ask one time about the amount of fishing equipment i had in dollar amount and i told her it was not her concern. it hadn't keep her from having a ring for ever finger and ear and all those gold necklaces around her neck and bracelets. she never ask again!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:52 AM

Another addict's confession:

Addiction #1

7’9” Loomis GL4 2 wt
7’6”Tenryu 3 wt
8’9” Sage LL 3 wt
9’ Loomis GL3 4 wt
8’ Japanese 4 wt bamboo
9’ Loomis GL3 5 wt
9’ Loomis IM6 6 wt
9’ Loomis GL3 6 wt
10’ Loomis IMX 6 wt
8’ 6” Heddon Governor 6 wt bamboo
9’ Sage RPL 7 wt
9’ Loomis Premier 8 wt
9’9” Loomis GL3 8 wt
9’ Orvis TLS 9 wt
10’ Sage RPL+ 10 wt
(Rebuilding a 9 ft steel rod, manufacturer unknown)

Addiction #2

Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Sigma DM-5
Yamaha FG-420-12
Epiphone El Segundo bass
Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 AM

No wonder I can not catch any fish. I only have two fly rods. I can see that I have been too much of a minimalist when it comes to gear. I have one pair of waders, one vest ,one net, one pair of clippers, one measuring tape, one bottle of fly float, and one pocket fly box. The fish do not take me
seriously when they see I do not have a bunch of stuff attached to my fly vest. I need to spend my way to success, and look like a a real fisherman.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 AM

I've got a fair number of rods both bamboo and graphite, but I fish only about three regularly, so I wouldn't fret over the number of rods or equipment. There used to be an old saying about guns: beware the man (or woman) with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it. Probably applies to flyrods as well. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-03-2009, 01:01 PM

It ain't the rod, that's for sure. There are guys on this board that could take a piece of sapling and some 10lb mono and out fish me any time.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Rivergal--Other than helping folks like LRO and yours truly keep the wolf from the door, being a minimalist isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was into my 30s before I owned more than a single fly rod, and I only owned two guns (a single-shot 20 gauge and a much nice Belgian Browning semi-auto .22). I'm probably not much better as a fly fishermen now than I was then. Maybe a bit better caster, definitely more knowledgeable on some tactics and techniques, but on the downhill side when it comes to rough terrain, wading skills, and ability to hike mile after endless mile.
The real reason for more rods (or guns) is that the vast majority of us find considerable pleasure and pride in ownership. We like our stuff, enjoy talking about it bragging on it, looking for it (in the case of collectibles), and in general recognizing that, as Arnold Gingrich once wrote, "the fishing's only part of it." Another part is the powerful pull of paraphernalia. I'll give two examples of someone who is a wonderful (or tragic) testament to this delightful disease, yours truly.
I'm sitting in a huge room, equipped not only with floor to ceiling book shelves on three walls but also with walk between stacks just like a library, surrounded by perhaps 8,000 books on the outdoors, and scattered throughout the rest of the house and in two storage sheds are several thousand more. As if that isn't enough, I probably own at least 600 turkey calls, and I'm not talk about diaphragms. That doesn't even touch guns, a collection of thousands of old outdoor magazines, vintage photographs galore, all sorts of Smokies "stuff," and of course fly rods. Obviously I have a long-suffering and understanding wife!
With all that by way of confession though, from the standpoint of being functional as a fisherwoman, you have enough. Whatever you add henceforth will be the cherry atop a sundae, lace on a bride's pajamas, or extra jam in a stack cake.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Now I know why i like to hang with fellow fly-fishers...we have the same addiction. I have tried to make a non-fisher understand the need for 15 fly rods and 12 reels, but they just look at me with a condescending smile, probably thinking I've gone round the bend. But not you guys, heck no. We're in this together.

Just when I think I'm done buying gear, I read a blog like this and realize I'm not as bad as most of you. I only have two walls of books, Jim. And no where near as many rods, Seagull. Since I have no musical talent, my wife doesn't have to worry about guitars. On the other hand, I have way too many cameras.

Oh, well...at least I only have one wife, and she's all I want and need.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Jim, a collection of 600 turkey calls is a good start. Roy Rogers once owned
37 coon dogs, at least your books don't bark. Life is short. Enjoy your
hobbies and life.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Rivergal, I love your outlook. MY wife has a similar outlook and that makes enjoying our hobbies easier. Enjoy life it is way to short.