Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 AM

This is for all you guys that have a wife that monitors your habit........it is still a lot less than a bass boat. Buy more stuff.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Brian--Excellent thinking. Jim Casada
Old 11-05-2009, 09:17 AM

8 FT-4WT-4PC Cortland my first rod
7 FT-3/4WT-3PC Lamiglass Appalachian
6-6 FT-2WT-4PC forecast that I built
8-6 FT-5wt-3 pc built on a Rogue River blank I call the black widow-which I built as well. Nice soft action suited to the dry fly.
I have an area of the garage with work bench, fly tying station and a locker for rods.
Fishhead
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 AM

I myself can never seem to have enough rods. I currently have the following:

8'6" Orvis TLS 5wt
9'0" Orvis Clearwater 5wt
8'6" Orvis Helios 5wt
7'9" Orvis Far and Fine 5wt
7'9" Orvis superfine 5wt
9' Sage LFI 8wt
9' Sage Z-axis 8wt

My 14 year old daughter additionally has:

8'6" Orvis Clearwater 5wt
9' Sage FLI 7wt

In addition to these I have given several rods away, for purely selfish reasons. I gave these rods to fishing partners.

I gave a 9' Orvis Clearwater rod to a buddy of mine who I reintroduced to fly fishing.
I gave a Bass Pro World Wide Sportsman 9' 8wt combo to my best friend and fishing partner this year when we started fishing for reds in the short grass.

I use the 5wt Helios about 75% of the time when I am trout fishing.
I use the 7'9" superfine 5 wt the other 25% of the time (you can flip dry flies with a dropper all day in the smokies and not even have to take motrin to keep the shoulder from hurting)
I used the Sage FLI 8wt combo all summer on Red to catch over 25 (I broke off another 10 easy).
I just got the Sage Z-axis, and haven't even tested it yet.

The sad thing is that I would like to get a sage 7 wt vt2 and a sage 5wt vt2. You would think that I would have more than enough.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
You should come to Nashville and check out Gruhn Guitars...Nothing like a $30,000 strat to open your eyes.
When I think back on how many Strats and Les Pauls I could have bought in the 60s/70s for $300....well it makes me sick,...mainly I feel sick because I didn't buy my BIL's '64 Strat when I could have.I do have a couple of Fender Deluxe Reverbs,a '66 and '67.

As for rods,I only have 2 right now,a TFO 7'9" 4wt.and an old Wright & McGill fiberglass I got as a kid.
I had thought I would save a lot of money,by not buying more guns,but that was before I started fly fishing,and that St. Croix Avid looks really good to me right now.
I can tell this fly fishing stuff is going to be another addiction. since there's no Mrs. Rebelsoul anymore.....it doesn't make any difference.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM

7 rods,7 shotguns,7 pistols
Old 11-05-2009, 10:56 PM

A TFO 9' 4piece 4wt - my 99% goto for mtns and tailwaters...and a Scott A2 4wt...
So not much gear there, but I love my Bauer Superlight reel that I use for the both...
My other over the top stuff is my camera gear which could've landed me several lengths and weights of Helios rods or maybe a couple of nice vintage 'boos...
And then there's another bad habit that hasn't fully taken hold, but eventually will consume me is my '52 Willys Wagon which I could've already had restored if flyfishing and photography hadn't taken over!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Trey--If you had to choose a single rod for the Smokies, yours is an excellent choice.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Trey,
Not a thing wrong with a 9' 5wt. The TFO pro is a great rod that will serve you well for years. I think a 9' 5wt is probably the most versital rod out there.

Jeff
Guys, I'm not complaining at all! I love my rod, it fits me well. I started with a Cortland $18 P.O.S. from Dick's and could immediately notice the difference when I got my TFO.

The only thing that bothers me is I would like a smaller rod for the Smokies, and maybe a heavier rod with sink tip line so I can rip streamers for big browns. I think 3 total rods would be perfect, but that won't happen anytime soon.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Nah, cause soon enough you'll be married and will need that 8wt for fishing the flats and a 12wt for offshore and then you'll need..........
Old 11-06-2009, 08:11 AM

I only fish one rod at a time, Trey, 3 rods would cover all fishing conditions as you mentioned, gotta have a backup for each though & sometimes the backup needs a backup, not really
I got rid of about 20 rods a few years back, haven't really missed them & if a new one want's to find it's way into the house, i'll sell another one or two to get it there.
However, this new DSLR addiction to lens is starting to take it's toll on the wifes patience, just one more & i think i'm done

Grumpy