Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM

I would stay away from studs. Especially in the area in the Chimneys area. I have seen days where having the studs in was almost like having a pair of roller skates on. It can be very dangerous on those worn slick rocks.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM

Personally, I prefer the felt over the studs any day. And for those concerned, mix up a spray bottle of a bleach solution and when you return from fishing, spray the solution on the felt while wet and again once they dry. It will kill any type of parasite present.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM

RebelSoul--Sounds like you have reached that point in your angling career where, as old mountain men used to put it, "you ain't as catty as you once were." Sadly, I too have reached that stage.

As for the orange colored rocks someone mentioned, they are fairly widespread. There's a major seam of them which runs through the Luftee drainage and can readily be seen in the stream at the point where Toe String Branch enters. There is a geological name for them, one which I disremember, but verily they are are slick as a mole's hind quarters.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
Personally, I prefer the felt over the studs any day. And for those concerned, mix up a spray bottle of a bleach solution and when you return from fishing, spray the solution on the felt while wet and again once they dry. It will kill any type of parasite present.
I've also heard of mixing some bleach and water and putting it in a tub and placing your boots in it for a minute or two.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Korkers

Hey Mac, I think we have strayed a bit from your original question. While the felt soles can cross-contaminate if you don't take proper precautions, I think they are your best way to go in the backcountry. I fish all up and down the WPLP and Upper Deep Creek areas and am a BIG fan of Korkers boots.

If you are not familiar with them, they are excellent boots that allow you to change out the soles, as needed. Typically I use the rubber lug soles to hike in a few miles (ie Upper Deep Creek or above Elkmont) and then when I get to the stream, I swap out the lug soles for felt soles and start fishing. They are awesome. I have a couple of pairs (a pair I use when I wear waders and another that it is one size down for wet wading). The best part is that you can purchase several different types of soles and switch them out based on the conditions you will be going to (rather than buy separate boots for each situation).

I have the Streamborn model (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...at=1140&page=1) and find them to be very good hiking boots, as well. They are lightweight, yet have excellent ankle support. I've been very happy with them...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 PM

I have a pair of Patagonia River Walkers with their sticky rubber soles and absolutely love them especially for fishing mountain streams. They are much better than felt on the trail, better on dry rocks and logs, and almost as good on slick wet rocks. They are extremely light and I would recommend that you give them a look, they are however a bit pricey. I bought mine just before the Viabram soled Simms boots came out, but I like the sticky rubber. I have only had one complaint with them. I've always noticed that they were a little stiff and seemed to sort-of cut into my lower leg, just above the ankle at the top of the boot. This never caused any problems or discomfort, till I spent several days wearing them in Yellowstone this summer. My lower legged seemed to be swelling and the feeling of cutting into my leg was really beginning to get painful. I decided to try not lacing them to the top and this fixed "the problem". I mention this because up until that point I would have recommended these boots to anyone without reservations, However this experience would cause me to say "try before you buy". I still think this is the best boot out there for hiking-in and rock-hopping on mountain streams. Just my opinion.

Mike
Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 AM

Like Pete, i too use Korkers. Unfortunately this summer after an outing i left my Chota's out on the front porch to dry in the sun the next day. when i woke up one was out in the front yard and the other was 3 doors down in their front yard, with most of the felt chewed off and tongue ripped out. So after much research on this site and across the web i decided on the Korkers. You only have to have one pair of boots as you can switch out the soles. With that being said, Korkers have a new line of soles out called Kling Ons. I got to try them out on my trip to the smoky's back in october. The words spider man came to mind after using them. Especially for rock hopping. They grip those boulders like crazy. In the water, i couldn't tell any difference between them and felt. My first day I used each of them for half the day to see. Lets face it, those rocks are slick, i don't care what you have on your feet. Out of the water, the Kling ons grip twice as good as the felts, especially when your having to climb on the banks and boulders. You can wear them to hike in too and not even have to worry about changing soles.

On a side note, I wear a size 13 street shoe, and a 14 in wading shoes, and i have a narrow foot. I had to get a 15 in the korkers because they have a small toe box. If i don't put my waders on, such as for a hike in, i have to wear my neo booties to fill out the extra space, which isn't a big problem for me. I strongly suggest going to a store and trying them on before you buy to get the right fit. I also suggest walkin down an incline to see how they fit in a real world situation.

all that said, ill be wearing the Kling On soles indefinately.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 AM

Default Another side note....

Sorry its off topic a little bit but I called Korkers and the few places I could find that carried the Kling Ons (because they just came out) and asked about how well they performed on freestone mtn streams and here's what i heard from both Korkers and another shop that carried them (Kling Ons). They said that the Kling Ons worked so well that they are thinking about phasing out their felt soles entirely. So all you Korker wearers that like the felt you might want to think about buying a few pair to have as replacements if this is true. I dont know if they will, just wanted to pass on the info so that you are aware.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredmon930 View Post
Like Pete, i too use Korkers. .....all that said, ill be wearing the Kling On soles indefinately.
Like Pete, I also wear Korkers in the mountains. Thanks for the report on the Kling On soles. I was wondering how the preformed. I'll just have to get a set.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 AM

I'm at that age where i won't take any flying leaps anymore, been wearing the Vibram rubber soles for years & Korkers rubber soles as well.
Chota is introducing some reasonably priced rubber soles this year, i will have to check them out being they have more room in the toe box than the Korkers.

Grumpy