Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Lost Cove Creek Near cs 91

I am going to be staying a night at cs 91 in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone has ever fished lost cove creek? I am sure eagle creek would be better but I am going up to shuckstack with others on a hiking trip and coming back down to 91 to spend the night so I will have to hit lower eagle creek the next morning before heading out. Since I will have some time (maybe) to fish before dark on lost cove creek near 91 I was going to check here to see if I should even bother.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Crockett--It's mighty small but does hold (or at least used to hold) fish. I haven't been on it in years. The only reason I can think of to bother with it is the one you give--a prisoner of geographical circumstances. I'd love to have your report, and I need to check and see if Bobby Kilby has fished it. He's been on more streams in the Smokies than anyone I know who is living (a fellow by the name of John Baskerville, whom I'll be paying tribute to as part of a more general talk to the Nat Greene Flyfishers in Greensboro next week, had possibly fished as many--he died a few months back).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Jim,
I've seen you mention Bobby Kilby in your book and on here many times,from what I've gathered he has kept a journal of some sort and graded the streams he has fished.
I guess my questions are,is he a guy who is trying to fish as many streams as possible and will he ever consider relating the info to others?
In your book,I pay attention to the grades he has given also,because of limited time on my part,if a seasoned angler has given a creek a high mark,then it's worth paying a visit to.
Rick
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM

RebelSoul--Bobby has been on a quest stretching over decades which involves fishing as many trout streams in the Southeast as possible. He has to catch at least two trout from a stream for it to qualify, and he rates them strictly on the basis of his personal experience. To date he has listed more than 1000 N. C. streams and well over 200 within the Park (N. C. and TN sides). He has kept careful records but I don't think he will ever make those spread sheets public. Frankly, I don't blame him, because he would, in effect, be giving a lifetime of research work away.

It was a real coup for me to convince him to share his Park information with me. I think that happened because (1) He had heard me speak several times and trusted me as a person and an angler, (2) I assured him that while I would make use of his info and ratings in the book I would never share his full details, and (3) Along with my brother I was able to point him in the direction of a whole bunch of streams, both inside and outside the Park, which we considered possible additions to his list.
Obviously what he has done is fascinating.
Jim Casada
Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks Jim,
I fully well understand Bobby wishing to keep his info private as much as he wishes...someday some deserving individual will inherit it most likely,and it will be a small treasure trove of information....much like a collection of geneaology.
It's an interesting thing that he's doing.
Obviously with your knowledge,coupled with his and others,questions like Crockett asked,and all the rest of us ask,we benefit in the long run.
Rick
Old 11-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Rebelsoul--Thanks, and I enjoy this forum; otherwise I wouldn't take the time to read and reply as often as I do. Obviously it is gratifying when some tidbit of knowledge or an opinion based on lots of years spent in the Smokies brings joy to others.
In that regard, I'll offer what may be a bit of shameless self-promotion, although since it is free I don't know that there's much of note in a pecuniary sense.
I have a monthly newsletter which, much like the one Byron provides (and anyone who doesn't subscribe is missing some good stuff), cost nothing but a bit of time to sign up. If you are interested, just visit my website, www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com, and you'll find directions on how to sign up to start receiving it. You can also, once registered, read back issues if so inclined.
Jim Casada
Old 11-04-2009, 11:40 PM

Jim,
Just wanted to drop you a quick line that I have really enjoyed the book. I fished Straight Fork based on it and it was a beautiful river. All of the rain made the fishing tough, but it was still a memorable trip. I also saw 3 bears during the trip. Thanks again for the great book.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 AM

John--Thanks. Sales are moving along nicely, thanks in no small part to LRO, and I'm mightily encouraged by positive responses to the book. It means a lot to me, much more than most of the other books I've written, and I hope it shows. Incidentally, one of my scarier bear experiences (and I've had a bunch of encounters with them) took place on Straight Fork when camped at Round Bottom as a boy. In the wee hours of the morning my buddy, Bill Rolen (who is mentioned in the book a bunch of times) punched me in the ribs to awaken me and whispered, "There's a bear outside the tent." In a loud voice, because he was always trying to trick me, I said, "Oh hush and go back to sleep." When I spoke there was a loud "Woof!" from a bear which literally had its nose agains the side of the tent.
At that point it became a crazy scene of scrambling for flashlights, trying to get out from under blankets (no sleeping bags for me in boyhood) and a scene sort of like Jerry Clower at the snake-handling revival: "Reckon where does that tent need another door?"
Jim Casada
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Jim,
It is the personal touch and passion that you put into the book over and above all of the knowledge that makes it such a great book. Your stories bring back memories of my childhood and fishing with my Father and Grandfather.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM

I think I remember you telling that story about the bear and you guys scrambling around in the tent in the book somewhere Jim. I have read most of it now I think .

With the shorter days now I wonder if we will have time to go up to Shuckstack on the AT then drop down to 91 by dark. I guess so if I start early enough. The thought of climbing that with a big backpack I am sure I will be stopping every 100 feet to catch my breath. I am actually wondering if I shouldn't just try and reserve a spot at cs 90 and fish lower eagle creek area the next morning before walking out on the lakeshore trail. Does anyone know about the fishing in the extreme lower part of eagle creek say from cs 90 to up maybe half mile above that.