Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Default Caney Today

Not a lot of activity until around 3:00pm Beautiful BWO hatch. Lots or rises to dries. Got one rise, but the knot broke. Lot's of wind though. I think I need to use a larger sized leader when it's so windy...hmmm.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Hey Blue Raider, I am going to the Caney this coming weekend will they hit the zebra midges there like they do on the Clinch? and if you don't mind sharing what drys were you using? Blue Winged Olives?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 AM

If the water is still up from the schedule and sluice gate operation, float the river and throw streamers into the cover. Your numbers won't be up, but the fish you do get will be measured in pounds. We only got 5 fish Saturday, but one of them was a 6lb. Brown. Their colors are beautiful right now. If you fish any shallow runs, watch it first and wait for them to rise in the film. Then throw soft hackles and you will get them on the swing. However if the water does drop out considerably, a midge will always produce. Hope this helps, and good luck

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Old 11-09-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
Hey Blue Raider, I am going to the Caney this coming weekend will they hit the zebra midges there like they do on the Clinch? and if you don't mind sharing what drys were you using? Blue Winged Olives?
I tried a BWO no dropper and couldn't see it, so I switched to an Orange Neversink and got a good rise to it. I have to wade, so I recommend following the above advice if you can float. If not, I think tying on a midge dropper will get you a couple. I wanted to fish dries as long as I could and didn't tie on a dropper until the very end. I think I am going to try an olive z. midge dropper next time with a green neversink.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 PM

BlueRaider, I'd love to hit the Caney, but at 1800cfs, it looks like the water would have you backed right up against the bank. Fishing those small flies can be a challenge. Sometimes I hunker over to track the fly against the sheen of the water,or simply guess where it is from the end of the line. If anything comes up in that area where I think the fly is, I raise the rod tip. Often time if the fish has taken the fly you'll get the hookup. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

Silver,

Yeah, it was quite the wade out at Lancaster through the vegetation. Stepped into a couple of "deep" holes (I'm only 5'8"). Tried the listen technique, but didn't hear much. My boss says he does well with streamers wading, so I may switch. Thanks for the advice and info.

BRF
Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Does anyone have a link to hourly sluicing rates?
Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM

Blue raider, this has come up on another forum. To my knowledge they do not publish a predicted sluicing rate. I hope I am wrong on this. It's something we should lobby for. A couple of feet of water coming down the river unexpectedly could be a big problem. There is a safety issue the Corps/TVA needs to address. again I hope I am wrong and someone out there has a site for this.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM

BRF, can you describe the orange Neversink you're referring to...I don't think I've heard of one of those.

BTW, I don't think there's any posting of the sluice times. You might get an idea of how much they are planning to dump by looking at the discharge forecast. http://nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds....=RR2&node=KOHX

I also look at the scheduled flows that TVA shows for the Great Falls dam since it will directly affect how much they are going generate at Center Hill.

Thanks, Joel
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
BRF, can you describe the orange Neversink you're referring to...I don't think I've heard of one of those.

BTW, I don't think there's any posting of the sluice times. You might get an idea of how much they are planning to dump by looking at the discharge forecast. http://nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds....=RR2&node=KOHX

I also look at the scheduled flows that TVA shows for the Great Falls dam since it will directly affect how much they are going generate at Center Hill.

Thanks, Joel
Like this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DX%26um%3D1

only orange. I think it's basically a "Doc's Cork" Thanks for the info. I will fish anyway, but it would be nice to know how deep I'l be in it!