Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelO View Post
BRF, can you describe the orange Neversink you're referring to...I don't think I've heard of one of those.

BTW, I don't think there's any posting of the sluice times. You might get an idea of how much they are planning to dump by looking at the discharge forecast. http://nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds....=RR2&node=KOHX

I also look at the scheduled flows that TVA shows for the Great Falls dam since it will directly affect how much they are going generate at Center Hill.

Thanks, Joel
Joel,

How does a guy read the dang thing? Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 AM

BlueRaider, If I understand the NOAA site correctly it simply gives you an average for the day. But, that could be an average of generation and sluicing. For example, if you look at Percy Preist on NOAA and it shows 3 and then look at the TVA water release schedule, you will see they are letting a constant 3000cfs over Priest. Thus, the 3 average on the NOAA site. As for the precipitation amounts, you need a secret decoder ring to figure out what locations those letters stand for. Silvercreek
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 AM

Here is what I think the report is telling us:

.B MEM 1109 C DH06/DC1109/DRD+1/QTIF/DRD+2/QTIF/DRD+3/QTIF
.B1 DRD+4/QTIF/DRD+5/QTIF
:5-DAY DISCHARGE FORECASTS
WLCK2 4.0/ 4.0/ 4.0/ 4.0/ 4.0:WOLF CREEK DAM
DAHT1 1.6/ 1.6/ 1.6/ 1.6/ 1.6: DALE HOLLOW
CEHT1 2.5/ 2.5/ 2.5/ 2.5/ 2.5:CENTER HILL

The date after MEM is the starting point...in this case Nov 9 (1109). The 5 day forecast would be for 11/10 through 11/14. The numbers for each day indicate the average cfs (in thousands) flowing through the dam. In this case, it looks like Center Hill will be flowing (on average) at 2500 cfs (as depicted by 2.5 on the report). Looks like the sluice will be on 24/7 with 1 generator kicked on for about 4 hours each day. The sluice is equivalent to 1.8 and 1 generator is equivalent to 3.8 on the report....after that its just a math exercise.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Called around the Corps today to see if there was a site that gave hour by hour predicted sluicing in addition to generation. The answer was no. A lady at the Corps said that Center Hill would be sluicing 1 gate (1600-1800cfs) until December. The Corp site under fishing info for Center Hill also says they will be sluicing one gate until further notice. Buy a boat is you are going to fish the Caney anytime soon.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks, I may have to just keep wading in the deeper water. The sluicing wasn't so bad that I was in danger. It did stink having to wade out in waste deep water. Maybe I can find an old inner tube
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM

BlueRaider, Be careful out there. A couple years ago a guy drowned at Happy Hollow when he stepped off into a hole. You may want to seriously consider a life jacket. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Yeah, if I can't see the bottom, I don't take a step. I had to wait in a couple of spots for several minutes for sediment to clear.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:20 AM

BRF, if you need a fishing buddy, give me a holler. I need my fish for November and would prefer to get a trout this time. It's always good to have a partner when wading conditions are sketchy.

In other news, I made the MTSU paintball team on Sunday!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 AM

BigPopper (Mark) and I are going a week from Saturday, you're welcome to come. Post and remind me though. I'm a forgetful old codger. Congrats on making the team!