Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight
Default Deep Creek Campsite #58 backpack/fishing

Just thought I would share a few photos from my backpacking/fishing trip to campsite #58 on Deep Creek. The first thing I must say about this trip was the weather was perfect! it was the best backcountry trip I have ever had. The water level in the river was perfect! and the water was clear, with very few leaves.

I have still yet to catch any park specks but I did manage to catch a Rainbow and a brown. I had several hard strikes that I missed but all in all a perfect trip with great weather! I guess I'm not doing to bad for a someone who has only been fly fishing for 3 months. Many thanks to Daniel at LRO for putting up with my 100's of questions and advice.

Below are a few pictures I thought I would share. The deer in the picture wandered right into our campsite on Sunday morning and just hung around while we packed up camp. The Rainbow was caught on a #14 rubberlegged stimulator and the brown took an October Caddis
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Nice report Spotlight,

There is some very nice water in and around sites 58 and 59, a nice little pull to climb the ridge to get up there, but it's a beautiful area. Btw, I am not sure exactly where the specs show up on Deep Creek, but the best chance is in the headwaters down from Newfound Gap Rd.

Neal
Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Spotlight and Pineman--To catch specks in Deep Creek (or more accurately, its feeders), you have to be quite high up. On Left Fork they don't show up much until around Keg Drive Branch, which is a long way from anywhere. On Right Fork, your best bets will be in the areas where Rock Creek and Sahlee Creek feed into it. All this involves some bushwhacking, as does your other options--Nettle Creek, Cherry Creek, and Beetree. No trails on any of these. For anyone interested in specks, there are lots of places elsewhere in the Park where they are far more accessible.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Looks like a great backcountry trip!

Not to hijack the thread...
Jim, have you had much success targeting the larger Browns in Deep Creek when there are consistently higher flows such as we've had this fall? Maybe it's just me, but it has seemed to be an extra challenge trying to find the better fish this fall.

Caleb
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Caleb--They are there, although I wonder if you are focusing too low down in the drainage. It has been my experience in the past (and I haven't fished Deep Creek this year since early September) that browns here have an even more pronounced tendency than elsewhere to migrate upstream--way upstream--into tributaries for spawning. I have no scientific explanation but I have seen them in water which would hardly cover their backs. That's about as specific as I care to be on this particular subject, and I hope you and others understand why. As Grandpa Joe used to say, "a man's got to have some secrets." I've probably already said more than I should.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Jim,
As always your nugets of knowledge are a wealth to the board. I only wish I had more time to apply what you teach.
Thanks,

John
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I caught it....I'm going to start looking more and fishing less thanks for the tip.