Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Lightbulb Good Idea for the Fall: Snakeproof Gaiters

May I suggest a pair of these if you plan on any backcountry fishing or hikes this fall. With the water table high and on a nice sunny fall day; you will be meeting some snakes.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?mi=3832
to choose, to respond, to change

Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Surely you jest?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM

Did you read where some guy tested them with a captive western diamondback?.....I can think of better ways to test something rather than letting a snake bite me while wearing them.
A friend of mine was bitten by a large cottonmouth in Miss. some years ago while wearing hightop leather boots that had an inside liner,the fangs went through the outside of the boot and got caught between the layers.
After wetting his pants,literally,and killing the snake,he said it felt like someone hit him with a ball bat,leaving a softball sized bruise on his calf.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

This is an article from a friend in my hiking group hope the links help.

Anyone that was within ear shot or email range this past weekend probably knows all about my ordeal on Saturday. It wasnít an ordeal so much as an absolutely awesome run in with a mature and very cranky Timber Rattlesnake. This brought up a lot of questions from the group which were answered, often wrong, by people trying to give helpful advice. Some of the present registered nurses offered up the correct information and everyone learned something new that day. I wonít try and be an authoritative figure on snake bites, but I can definately do what I do best, use the internet! Ironically enough last issue Backpacker Magazine (props to them) had a very interesting write up on what to do in a snake bite situation. It looks at a lot of the common myths (suck the poison, put on a tourniquet) and covers the proper procedure (mark the swell rings with a pen, wash the area, stay calm). Props to them for such an excellent article.
The one thing I will stress is the importance of knowing the local wildlife. Iím sure everyone knows all about Black Bears in the Smoky Mountains, but did you also know there are 2 (of the 23 total) snake species that are poisonous? (Source) There are, the Timber Rattlesnake (my trail friend) and the Copperhead. Knowing what youíre going to run into on the trail is vital to knowing what to do when youíre put in a situation that everyone acknowledges can happen, but so few are actually prepared for.
Now you know, and knowing is half the battle! (okay Iím a child of the 80s, but me.)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM

Knowledge is the best medicine and the treatments have changed over the years from cutting and sucking to ice packs and so on.
I read one time that more deaths from snakebite incidents involved wrecks on the way to the ER.
We here in Middle TN. have the copperheads,timber rattlers,and pygmy rattlers,(which I've never seen),and the nasty cottonmouths.
The cottonmouth is a snake that is more aggressive than the others in my experience....there's nothing like the adrenaline rush you get when you're chest deep in water and a big one drops into the water beside you. and yes,they will come after you,I've had it happen more than a couple of times.
I'm glad that they're not in the GSMNP,I would kill myself trying to get away from one on the slippery rocks.

Last edited by Rebelsoul; 10-28-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something