Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Default SnowBird Creek

I enjoyed my first visit to the Snowbird area in over 20 years. Forgot How beautiful the area was. What is the deal with the size of the fish?
Great dry action Saturday evening.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM

What do you mean by the size of the fish? I'll assume you mean they were small. The average wild trout in mountains streams is pretty small, 5-6 inches. I haven't fished upper Snowbird, but I think it's on par with most Appalachian mountain streams.

Neal
Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Rockhopper--You don't make clear what you mean about the size of the fish, but I'm guessing you caught a lot of 5-7" trout and few if any in the 8-9" class. Hopefully you did take a few bigger ones. My theory, and I spet most of the summer doing "research" on it, is that the drought of two and three summers back caused the loss of at least one age class of trout in most streams of the Smokies. I caught a passel of little fish in both Big and Little Snowbird this summer, along with some nicer fish. Virtually no "medium" fish. I'm guessing you had a similar experience. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Default SnowBird

I am sorry that I didnt make myself clear, I just joined and so I am sure that my post was brief and lacking of any meat. The fishing was great and yes there were smallish fish bit there were several nice fish caught. I must have fished several miles. I will take the size of these fish any day. Jim look forward to getting your book . Is it at the fly shop at South Park? My office is in Charlotte so I am there often.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Rockhopper--Yes, Jesse Brown's should have it, or you can order it from me or through LRO. Jim Casada
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM

Rockhopper,
I highly recommend the book....great read and great gouge for fishing.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhopper View Post
I enjoyed my first visit to the Snowbird area in over 20 years. Forgot How beautiful the area was. What is the deal with the size of the fish?
Great dry action Saturday evening.
Rockhopper I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but I wouldn't mention streams like that one here. There are some people who will share open information on spec streams, but I believe they don't need anymore pressure than they already have. With that being said that is a great creek and if you want to email me I will give you info you want.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 AM

I am not trying to start a battle or anything, but the Big Snowbird is not a secret stream. From what I understand most of the heavy fishing pressure is on the hatchery supported portions of the stream. I have seen several posts on here about people fishing the spec waters, they even ran a Heartland segment on the Snowbird that featured Walter Babb. It's not a secret blue line that is in the middle of nowhere.

Neal
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Default snowbird pressure

I have read this forum for several years , not until recently have I decided to comment. I am not very confrontational nor do I believe this board is for arguing. However, I saw similiar comments made when a friend of mine mentioned road prong. Guys these streams arent overly fished or overly crowded. If me and two other fellows I saw on 14 miles of stream overly fished than I like my chances. There are those that like their privacy.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM

rockhopper,

Don't sweat it. Things have changed on this board during the last year. People used to post a lot more reports on fishing on various types of trout water, then a chosen few began to discourage such activity, some of these used to post reports as well. If you wanna post a fishing report on a particular stream go for it. It's a free country and if other people don't like it then they'll have to live with it! I mean it has become silly at this point. I can understand people not posting about blue lines, etc., but people get worked up when someone post a report about the Clinch River like it is a secret stream If you ever want any information from me I'll be glad to share it with you. I am just a lackey, not a flyfishing expert like many on here, but I don't mind sharing information with people who are into the sport and don't expert to learn everything from a forum.

Neal
pineman19@yahoo.com