Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Default Fishin' Spots

Hey guys, I'm new to the board and relatively new to fishing in the park. I have been about 4 or 5 times and had moderate success at best. I usually come into the park through townsend and was wondering where some of yalls favorite fishing spots are. Also, are there any spots that are best for november/december? I've been to Abram's Creek, West Prong, and LR above Elkmont. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 02:17 PM

TroutVol,

Welcome to the board, and I hope you find much information here.

However, I have to say that you may not get the responses you are looking for with the way your post is worded. I have a lot to learn about Smokies fishing, but enjoy my time in the mountains learing the ins and outs of each stream. People don't care to give out the names of streams, as long as they are not tiny bluelines, but giving out specific locations is generally a no-no for online forums.

The streams you have named are good locations, and they each have their prime locations. If you are new to Smokies fishing I would recommend hiring a guide, they can teach you many tricks that will increase your success rate. Please do not take my post the wrong way, it is only intended to be a friendly welcome and introduction to how things tend to operate on online forums.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM

Hey Troutvol,
Welcome to the forum. You've named some great places already, one of which (Abrams) I've not yet fished and really want to one day. Hang in there with what you know already, the advice to hire a guide is never a bad idea when learning, and just go back into the forum a ways and you'll see a wealth of info. shared over the years of a number of great spots to try for all different seasons of the year.
I can tell you from my little tiny bit of experience that it seems you picked a great time to jump in as far as water/ stream conditions in contrast to the last few years. Everyone seems to say general conditions are prime all over the TN side of the park and we're still having some spells of beatiful weather. BTW, if you'll hit the link for the Fishing Report at the top, Byron puts one up each day with stream conditions, flies, and angler reports etc.
Almost forgot, subscribe to the e-newsletter for more tips/ tactics.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Sometimes you just gotta go fishing, I think that most seasoned anglers that chase fins with fur and feather will tell you that making the art of catching fish more difficult and challenging is a source of the pride and enjoyment we get from the sport. Whether its on a flat in the bahamas, the bow of a drift boat, or a tiny mountains stream in the park. There is something special and rewarding about heading to unknown water, stalking your prey, and finding success and also failure, which often we learn more from. To simply tell someone to go fish this hole or another would actually deprive that person from the total experience, and I can tell you that I treasure the "honey holes" that I have found on my own more so than they ones I was gifted. I hope you do not take any offense but to answer your question my advise would be to go fish the streams in the park and learn your own favorite spots, there are thousands of fish per river mile, you will always treasure more what you earn, versus what you are given.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-09-2009, 10:45 PM

TroutVol,

My favorite spots are stretches of river and not particular spots. When you're going fishing for 6 hours or more at a time, getting anchored to a specific spot can get pretty old.

It's no surprise to virtually anyone on this board that the West Prong of the Little Pigeon is one of my favorite streams and specifically the gorge between the Chimneys picnic area and the Chimneys trailhead. There are scores of favorite spots up and down that river - wouldn't know where to tell you to start other than jump in and experience it yourself. That's sort of the approach I took when Daniel at LRO first told me to try the gorge. As a matter of fact, 2 people fishing that same stretch would likely discover completely different favorite spots based on their particular style and fancy for fly fishing.

All this is not to be evasive or secretive about my favorite spots. The fun part for me about fishing WPLP is that I catch fish in different spots almost every time. There are spots where the first few times I hit them, I caught fish every time. The next time I go, I may strike out in that same spot but be surprised with a fish in a spot I've never caught fish in.

As Carolina Boy suggests, dive in and find your own favorites. It's part of the adventure.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM

TroutVol,
I will have to say ditto to what nvr2L8 and Carolina Boy say. I would say the better approach is to as some questions about reading the water and where the fish are likely to by lying, as well as asking some questions about how to make a stealthy approach. Most will be more than happy to share that information with you. You can also ask about rigging and different flies to use. You may even want to hit up Jim Casada about the best flies to use for the time of year. His book is a great source of places to try out.
For me it is not a matter of not wanting to tell you of a great spot, it is that I don't have great spots, and if I did I the directions would be like.....start fishing the Bradley fork after walking up the trail for about 45 min or so, and if you fish for at least two hours you should make it to the "spot". My experience in the Smokies is that there are catchable fish in every fishable stream (I am sure there are many in the unfishable waters too)! The trick is learning to read the water and determine where the likely spots are that the fish will hold, and getting your fly there without spooking the fish. I think fly selection is actually not nearly as important, most of the time.

John
Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 PM

My favorite stretch of GSMNP water is the gravel road section of Tremont. There is a shade of green I call Tremont green when the rocks get all "mossy".
Tremont is a pretty place to fish and photo.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 AM

TroutVol
I have to agree with everyone that has posted so far. Fishing the GSMNP for me has become more of an exploring experience, I love fishing waters that are new to me. I have taken several new fly fishermen and showed them my honey holes that I discovered, but most of them end up doing their own exploring now. Read Byron's fishing report, take note of the stealth required, because even if you are put on a good run, if you don't use stealth you won't catch fish. I learned this lesson to the fullest last spring,a friend of mine fished the same run on the North river that I had fished earlier that day he did a few small things different, how he took his fly line off the water with a little shake so there was no pop as the line came off the water, I would take one false cast, where he took none, he ended up taking twice as many trout. Learn to read the water and cover every inch. I have caught Brookies in 3" water. The streams you have named are some of the best in the park, work on your skills and the fish will come. The last thing I will say is to hike at least 45min and the fishing will improve.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 AM

Jake's Creek is nice. It gets to be kinda tight, but if you just follow the river, you get away from the crowds. Not to mention the crowds along the trail by the LR above Elkmont.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM

TroutVol, just to get oriented on stretches of waters, you might find the links below helpful. On the pages you will see references to Jim Casada's great book and some others. Enjoy exploring.

2/15 Update: Deleted map links previously posted.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.