Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Honorable Principal--First of all, thanks ever so much for the very gracious comments about my book. Thus far it has been well received and for that I am most grateful.

I would note that in my opinion the best book on trails in the Park, by light years, is Ken Wise's Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Sadly, it is out of print, and some index to how it is prized is given by the fact that copies now demand premium prices on the out-of-print market. Forum members might be able to locate a copy in their local library.

Thankfully, Ken is presently working on a totally updated new edition. I met with him and some other folks from the University of Tennessee this past Friday in connection with a Kephart collection of mine in which they were interested, and Ken said he is making steady progress and should have a new edition completed by summer. That will mean UT Press will then get busy on it, but I doubt if we'll see if before 2011. It's a book everyone who really cares about in-depth knowledge of Park byways will want to have.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammcdonald View Post
look for books and maps at the park stores or
www.smokiesinformation.org

money goes to the park.
Sam--Good advice, although I would note that the information in the current hiking trails book the GSMA has out for the Park is very uneven. Some of the coverage, such as that by Bill Hart, Jr. on Big Creek, is spot on, in other cases I genuinely wonder if the writer ever even walked the trail. My brother is a dedicated and extremely fit hiker who, as an engineer, is also a stickler for accuracy. He has pointed out dozens of mistakes in the book. I guess that's what happens when you get a group effort like this.

I mention Ken Wise's wonderful book in another post, and Johnny Malloy's Trial by Trail is an interesting read. My personal opinion, and I think it is one you share, is that the serious fisherman needs to read lots of books on the Park. Indeed, that viewpoint is precisely why I included a 16 page bibliographical essay, listing scores of books with brief comments on their contents, at the end of my recent book on fishing in the Park. Chances are not one in ten purchasers will consult the bibliography, but for those who want to learn about the Park's past and its ample lore, the listings provide a literary road map.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Jim, you can count me as one purchaser who did consult your fantastic bibliography. Most impressive! For keying my web site stream drainage listings (ex. Little River) to selected books, I was hoping to use, in addition to your book, Ken Wise's book on trails, but was unable to get my hands on one. Instead I purchased and am referencing pages in Russ Mannings's 100 Hikes in the GSMNP, which you cited as well. (As you well know it was originally published, along with Sondra K. Jamieson, as The Best of the GSMNP: A Hiker's Guide to Trails and Attractions.) As you pointed out, Manning's book is organized along creek drainages and, therefore, aligns nicely with my little endeavor.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo