Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Default Gear: What do you take?

One time I met a nice couple in a parking area at Greenbrier. They were very cordial, but I was amazed at many dangly things they had hanging off their clothes! They had gadgets and doo-hickeys of every kind (and most of them said Orvis). And here I am with my Bass Pro waders and one little ole pack of a couple dozen flies! So it got me wondering...

What kind of gear and equipment do most of ya'll take with you when you go out?

For me: a pack, a few essential flies, floatant, indicators, spare line and of course my swiss army knife....
Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 AM

Well it depends if I am fishing near the road from my car then just the basics like flies, floatant, nippers, forceps, extra tippet, leaders, my camera, and a snack.

If I am going up Meigs Post Prong or somewhere remote I also take a daypack with flashlight, water, food, lighter, first aid kit, and a little emergency bivy sack thing I got in case I ever have to sleep out unexpectedly.

Last edited by Crockett; 11-12-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM

At the end of the day I always think why do I have all this stuff but....Knife, flies, floatant, tippet, forcepts, nipper, snack/energy bars, small poncho,band-aids, water tablets, cigarette lighter and benadryl
Old 11-12-2009, 11:42 AM

Like Crockett siad it depends on how far from the car I am but
swiss army knife, too many flies, floatant, tippet, forcepts, nipper, snack/energy bars, water, sun glasses and reading glasses (trying to use the bifocal sun readers but not having a lot of luck) weather proof matches, extra car key and all of this fits in the vest.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 PM

Default gear

I think the more you fish the less "stuff" you carry,the least the better as far as i am concerned,what some of posts said about how far your going to fish from the truck is true.I've noticed that folks just starting to flyfish drown themselves with gear,I did it,I think most people do,its as all part of the transformatiion from a regular,working,nice,guy to a eco-neurotic affliction, syndrome known as TB (Trout Bummerosis). In conclusion ,if as you drive through the park on your way to fish ,you see some folks walking by the road,next to little river,and they are decked out in new vests,new waders,high teck wading boots,with clippers,hook sharpeners,flaslights,first aid kits,pocket knives,bear spray,insect repellant,more first aid kits,an extra change of clothes,extra socks,casada's book on fishing smnp,a weather radio,boxes with about 500 new flys inside,floaters and sinkers,fly dressings of every description,15 sizes of tippit,leaders and more leaders all in side a new vest that doubles as a back pack,and looks highly technical---then you can rest assured that in a few years,they will have lightened up,and like everybody else,they will pack most of that stuff away in a drawer,and write it off as the price you pay for TB.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:01 PM

Some of my best days on the water have been spur of the moment outtings when all I carried was a single spool of tippet, floatant and a few extra flies.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 PM

If I'm near my truck, I take my vest, waders, boots and rig and my knife. If I go more than a half mile from where I park, I take a day pack with lunch, an emergency blanket, and my knife.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:38 PM

I very rarely fish next to the vehicle, I enjoy hiking in almost as much as fishing.

When I go in I usually have a few things in my Fishpond Double-haul: full hydration bladder, Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter, rain jacket (if it's forecasted), snack/lunch, and the usual fly fishing gear (flies, nippers, tippet, forceps).

A couple of non-essentials I always carry with me: DSLR (& waterproof bag), underwater digital video camera, and GPS....and yes, everyone makes fun of me for all of the camera gear.

Chris
Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Default fly inflation

I just saw lauxier's comment of 500 new flies. I thought my 40-45 mostly used classified as too many, I guess I sit corrected. I am not a great believer that you have to make do with as few as possible, I'm just cheap
Old 11-12-2009, 02:54 PM

As a habit whenever I get out in the woods I always take water,firemaking kit,small first aid kit,map,knife,compass,and some type of snacks.
Then it depends on how far I'm going on what else goes in the pack...along with the basic fishing supplies.
Somebody mentioned extra car keys,I always put my keys somewhere else other than in my pants pocket,in something that packs away in the pack.
I have found several sets of rusty car keys in the woods while relic hunting with a metal detector over the years,and wondered about the poor guy who lost them.