Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 PM

Default north Ga fishing

anyone do anyfishing in the Noth Georgia area? in the Cohutta state park and blue ridge mountains?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 PM

The blue ridge area has some spectacular fishing. Also the Noontoolla (if I spelled that correctly) is good. Very beautiful areas.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 PM

North Georgia is great! Depending on the time and money you would like to spend, there are a number of trophy streams that are private, check with unicoi outfitters in Helen and they should be able to give you some more general info as well.

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Old 11-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Unicoi is definately pay to play but man they have some awesome trout. I know two guys that went over there 3 weeks ago and it was the first time either had trout fished. One caught a 27" and one caught a 25 1/2" fish. That kind of fishing will definately spoil the average man. I think they are pretty much booked solid right now. Unicoi is the outfitter but noontoola is the water that I am talking about.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 AM

i know they have some good placed for private fishing but that's the last thing i want to do. i'd go to a hatchery and fish.

has anyone done any fishing in ellijay area. my sister brother-in-law lived there and he showed me some amazing fish that have been caught there. i know it has a lot of national forest land.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 AM

Badger,

Your best bet near Elijay would be to head about 20-25 miles up the road and hit up the Toccoa River. There is public access on the tailwater of Lake Blue Ridge or the DH section above the lake is in full swing now and is only about 30 miles away. You could also head about 30 miles south and hit up the Amicalola River DH. Noontootla is year round, but has special regs you would need to look up on the public water up in the National Forest.

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Unicoi is definately pay to play but man they have some awesome trout. I know two guys that went over there 3 weeks ago and it was the first time either had trout fished. One caught a 27" and one caught a 25 1/2" fish. That kind of fishing will definately spoil the average man. I think they are pretty much booked solid right now. Unicoi is the outfitter but noontoola is the water that I am talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnbadger320 View Post
i know they have some good placed for private fishing but that's the last thing i want to do. i'd go to a hatchery and fish.
'Inbadger320', I have to disagree with your comparison of NCF with fishing at a hatchery.

I took my brother over there back in early January 06, a few months before he died of cancer. An unexpected front blew through that day and the fish had lock jaw. We worked our a$$e$ off however and did manage to catch some good fish..... some real good fish. Fish of what was to be his soon short lifetime.

But it was a far cry from fishing at a hatchery...... ...... It was work. They didn't just swim up to us and ask to bite our flies.

And those "pellet pigs", as I have heard some people call them; did not just roll over and swim to the net........ they put up a fight that would make any trout proud.... anywhere.

Sure, it was a treat. A treat I may never do again. But it was worth every dollar.

Just my .02 ......

And I also know those two guys 'flyred06' spoke of....... and yeah, they are "ruined" so to speak. ...... It is kinda like someone going hunting for the first time and getting a 190 class Whitetail.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Crosscreek, welcome to the board. Very small world is it not. LOL. Thanks for coming in with that report of the fishing over there. I am sorry to hear about your loss. However, I am glad you got to enjoy that adventure with him. Cherish the memories.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Crosscreek, welcome to the board. Very small world is it not. LOL. Thanks for coming in with that report of the fishing over there. I am sorry to hear about your loss. However, I am glad you got to enjoy that adventure with him. Cherish the memories.
Thanks for the welcome fr06...... small world indeed.....
Glad to throw in my .02 about fishing there. Memories were made & they are cherished for sure......... thank you.