Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Default Winter Trout Stocking Schedule

TWRA has posted the schedule for the warm water winter trout stocking for 2009/2010 at:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/Str...ckedtrout.html

Give it a try....
Don't have to drive too far...
Don't have to worry about generating and sluicing schedules....
and...
It's better than hanging out on the couch all winter.

Enjoy!

William
Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Yep. they put it up today. Priest is just 10 minutes from the house. It's like fishing a ditch, but at least it is fishing. I use it to come up with new midge patterns. The way it is looking for the Caney, Priest may be my next trip. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Silvercreek,

Have you ever tried Nice Mill Dam for a winter trout fix?
It is more like a "trout stream" than the JPP ditch. Lots of runs, riffles, pools and structure, and great for wading at 3 ft.
(see http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/Water...UGT1&fid=&dt=S )
or under; maybe up to 3.5 ft. ( Be careful if you go; the rocks are very slick!)
And.....no generating schedule to worry about.
Check it out if you have never fished it. A great place to try your new patterns and techniques.

William

ps..I would suggest that you not go on stocking day. Too big a crowd for me. Let it settle down a little.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Hey William, I made three trips there last year. The first the water was so high it was in the trees. The second it was barely at a fishable level and I saw very little activity. The third, in the middle of the week, the water was fishable, but half of Murfreesboro was there. Kids throwing rocks. bait fishers who actually cast across my line and a guy with a dog which thought it was great fun to go out in the water to chase my fly line. I went away from there and have not been back. I may try it again if I can't get any Caney activity or at Priest. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Once you park, go under the bridge and follow the trail down stream. I believe you can cross over at some point, or just fish your way back up to the dam on the trail side. Once you make it up to the dam, just get out of the water. I almost had to call the cops last time because some Mexicans let their kids throw rocks in my direction...over and over and over. I just let it go since they didn't have the arm to reach me, but it was annoying.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM

BlueRaderFan, I agree.
Go down stream to get away from the "crowd". Of course, it takes a little while for the fish to spread out. It is especially good farther down after the second or third stocking.
There are really only two places for bait casters to fish; off of the dam and off of the bluff on the north side of the river. There is good water to wade and fly fish that is out of their reach in either place; now rock throwing, that is a different story.
The best times to fish are on a nasty weekday and later in the season, if the water isn't too high to wade.
But, don't everyone show up on the days that I want to fish.
And, by no means should you try to fish on stocking day.
William
Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 PM

I also have fished hear about 3 years ago. It was still cold (Feb)so there weren't too many people to get in my way. If you fish below the dam, just watch out in the "swift water" channels. Had to have my son help me back across the main one . Good winter location though.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM

OldHickory, you are right about it being tricky to wade below the dam. Those are the slickest rocks that I have waded on, except maybe Abrams Creek. It is the one place that I use a walking stick, or is it a wading stick?
You can check the water level at: http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/Water...UGT1&fid=&dt=S
You probably don't need to wade right below the dam if it is over 3'.
Good Luck!
William
ps...February is a great time to fish there.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM

Has anyone fished the West Fork of the Stones River? TWRA shows it will be stocked, but the maps of stocking locations does not show where it is stocked. It's close to Nices Mill and may be another alternative close by. Thanks. Silvercreek
Old 12-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Silvercreek,
I have caught some bass there.
This is the first time for trout stocking. (750 one time only)
They will be stocking right along the Murfreesboro Greenway, at Ransom Mill Dam, also known as Manson Pike Dam, and now the road/bridge name has been changed to Medical Center Parkway. There is a trailhead at the bridge and a boat ramp. I think that they still call it Manson Pike Trailhead.
Confusing? No, not if you know your way around the boro.
William