Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Default duck river at normandy dam tailwater

does anyone know if the duck river at normandy dam holds trout this time of year .....i have never fished there but it appears to be the only wadeable water sunday for fishing.....any input greatly appreciated
dan in crossville
Old 11-14-2009, 07:33 PM

Dan,
It does.
It was stocked on November 5th.
I am going down myself on Monday.
Good Luck!
William

ps..let us know how you do.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 PM

thaxs wm.. if not to much trouble.... is the 420 discharge wadeable without much current and is the dam area the best choice to try ... does it hold fish well after stocking or will it be fished out ... its a 2 and a half hour drive for me hate to get there and find its caught out thaxs again dan
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Dan,
I have only fished the Duck at Normandy two times, so I know very little about it, but I will give you my opinion. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will respond.
I would assume that you can wade at 420 cfs. I am basing this on the Elk, which is about the same size river. I love it it 470 cfs.
It will not be fished out. Last year they stocked 3500 fish in November, so I assume (there's that word again) that they did close to the same this year.
Again, based on last year they stocked four different places. The first and second bridge below the dam, Cortner's Mill, and Dement bridge. Go to Bing (formerly MSN) Maps and you can find these locations. It is a small area all around Normandy, so everything is easy to find.
It would be worth your while to go down and explore. Again my opinion.
Good Luck and let me know how you do as I plan on going Monday.
Regards,
William
Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 PM

thaxs again william your input is greatly apprciated if i can ever help you out on any cany info just give me a shout at fishingman62@hotmail.com dan
Old 11-15-2009, 12:11 PM

Hey guys...
We were planning on fishing the Elk this week, but it looks like TVA is going to squash those plans. Wm1...I see you are going tomorrow. Hoping you will post a report! Thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Better get busy, Rachel. Month's half over.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 PM

I know Charlie...I know!! We have a float trip planned for the Caney on Wednesday...just trying to find some wadeable water for Tuesday.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM

i ended up not making the trip to the duck stayed home and finished up fall yard work .....i was unsure of what the 420cfi did to the river after reciving an email...i know if the caney is sluicing under 400 its still very wadeable...alflygirl if i was you i would have an intermediate or sinking line or some splitshot if you don't have those lines to fish the caney wed....the 1800 sluicing will have the river up .... it won't be moving to fast to fish but you will need to get down with the current the 1800 sluicing produces ... if my buddy gets his drift boat we will be there also wed weather permitting .... good luck and hopefully wm will post a report o the duck and what the 420cfi does to the river for future reference
Old 11-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info fishingman. I got an email from somebody else that said there were folks wading on the Duck today so I think we are going to give it a shot tomorrow. We will be in a Hyde drifter with green logo and trim on it on the Caney on Wednesday. Give us a shout if you make it up there.