Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 PM

The Duck is wadable between the bridge and the dam at 420 cfs. You just have to be carefull of the deeper holes. The hot fly was a size 10 Prince Nymph about 4' under a strike indicator.
It's a little tougher wading downstream of the bridge but can be done.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM

ALflygirl,
Go for it!
I fished the Duck today and there are a lot of places that you can wade.
Here is a full report of my day.
Started at Courtners Mill. Fished for about an hour. Caught nothing.
Went up to the dam and there were a few people fishing so I went down under the first bridge. Caught several nice fiesty 10" rainbows downstream from there. Fished in areas that I could wade. Caught most of my fish near the bank in eddys. Fished about 1,000 feet down.
From there I wanted to explore some other areas so I next went down to the second bridge. Went upstream, but not a lot of wadable water. Did catch a couple. Actually went all the way up to the hatchery. Some nice bluffs and deeper water up there, but that is not my style. (A bait caster's dream).
I then went downstream from the bridge and caught a couple more.
My last stop was at Dement bridge, downstream. Had three hits, assumed that they were trout, and then caught two bass, so I don't know if there are trout that far down or not.
All in all a good day.
But, it is not the Caney and it is not the Elk. But, it is wadable and there are rainbows to be caught....and, the best part, no one else fishing except at the dam.
Best fly of the day was a chartruse woolybugger. Caught most of the trout on it and both bass, along with a couple on bluegill.
Hope that this helps you make a decision about tomorrow.
I will go back. It is a beautiful river, especially when you get away from the dam.
Good Luck!
William
Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the report William. Guess I need to broaden my mid Tennessee horizons. Silvercreek
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

thaxs for the report wm it sounds like the duck will make a good option when other tailwaters are unfishable....going to check the weather for over that way and might have to make the trip if we can't float the caney wed
Old 11-17-2009, 03:36 PM

I plan on fishing it more.
It is a pretty river and I didn't see any other folks fishing except for three at the dam.
I do enjoy solitude!
And there is quite a bit of access to different types of water. Some walking required.
And, the quality of the stocked rainbows appear to be very good.
And I can drive there in less than an hour.
William
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the info William. It is good to know that the Duck can be a wadeable option as it seems they may run the generators on the Elk FOREVER. As cold and windy as it was today, I don't think we missed anything. We shifted our plans til later in the week, so if we end up making it to the Duck I will definitely post a report.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM

I've learned alot from this thread,thanks.
One thing that struck me odd was a man was murdered while fishing alone on the Duck near Columbia last Sunday...I fish alone and I noticed several others here enjoy solitude,everybody be careful out there.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Yeah, that is troubling. Anyone hear what was behind this. Details were sketchy. I generally fish alone. Or at least go alone, and end up in a crowd.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM

ALflygirl, the Elk will probably run until the elevation of the lake is at 870. At the rate it's falling, that will be a while. Maybe they will let up on it for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Rebelsoul, yes that is sad. But, we are probably safer on a secluded stream than a lot of other places. Not to say that we shouldn't always keep our guard up. I do not carry a weapon, but I am sure that many do.

Silvercreek, I know what you mean about ending up in a crowd. One of my biggest problems concerning a crowd is, I like to work a whole section of a stream or river. I am not one that can stand in one spot and keep throwing my fly or flies to the same fish. When the stream is crowded I can't do that. Besides that, fishing in solitude is so peaceful; and that is basically why I took up flyfishing.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

William, yep I like to stalk them. Watching a good fish eyeball your fly and take it is as good as it gets. Regards, Silvercreek