Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Default stream size and elevation

Just curious, We have seen a lot of talk about stream size and elevation. In your opinion, what would be considered a small or medium to larger stream. What about elevation? How high is high? We are somewhat familiar with greenbriar, elkmont, thunderhead above the first footbridge past the parking area. metcalf bottom, chimney tops. We were just curious as to what we should consider looking at when you guys start talking about low elevation, small versus larger streams. any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks a bunch, flyguys.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 PM

My interpretation of your question for the Smokies.

High elevation - anything over 3,000 ft. In the area of Chimney's trailhead and above qualifies.

Large river: East Prong of Little River (ironic), Abrams Creek, probably West Prong of the Little Pigeon
Medium river: Middle Prong of Little River
Small river: Road Prong, Thunderhead, West Prong of Little River, Laurel Creek, Anthony's Creek

My 2 cents.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM

thanks charlie b!!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM

flyguys... I agree with Charlie's examples. In addition, Park flyfishing books classify numerous streams by size as well as room (or lack of it) for casting. Some of the maps at www.smokystreams.com/freebies show points at which streams are at 2000, 3000, 4000, etc. feet elevation. USGS quadrangle maps show more topo detail.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 09-07-2010 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Changed "Maps at..." to "Some of the maps at..."
Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 AM

Two books that come to mind are Flyfishing guide to the graet smoky mountans and smoky mountains trout fishing guide. Both books are by Don Kirk. They list streams and lakes by fishing quality, size and accessibility. I believe LRO carries these books or could at least get them for you. Me not liveing up there these books help me when I am wanting to plan a trip SO I know what to expect instead of just getting there and riding around looking for accessibly water, and what to bring in relations to what size stream I might be fishing. JIm cascada has a new book out and my wife bought it for me and put it up till christmas. I have not got to read it yet but that might be another great resource.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks joefred and flyred! Not wanting to be a bother, but being a newbie to mountain trout fishing I'm trying to get my hands on as much info as possible. The smokystreams maps are awesome by the way, a lot of information to set around and look at while passing a cold west tn night! Can't wait for a spring or summer trip. Thanks guys! flyguys.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
... JIm cascada has a new book out and my wife bought it for me and put it up till christmas. I have not got to read it yet but that might be another great resource.
flyred, she what!!?? She put it up till Christmas!?!?!? Talk about the gift of being longsuffering!!

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 11-20-2009 at 09:30 AM..
Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
Thanks joefred and flyred! Not wanting to be a bother, but being a newbie to mountain trout fishing I'm trying to get my hands on as much info as possible. The smokystreams maps are awesome by the way, a lot of information to set around and look at while passing a cold west tn night! Can't wait for a spring or summer trip. Thanks guys! flyguys.
Not a bother at all, flyguys. Not sure how far west you're located, but H. Lea Lawrence's 1998 book, The Fly Fisherman's guide to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, is available at the Memphis Central Library and the Cordova branch (call number 799.175709 L421f). Jackson library might be an option. If you look into this, ask the librarian to add Jim Casada's book, Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park: An Insider’s Guide to a Pursuit of Passion, by High Country Press. ISBN 978-1-935342-08-3.

JF
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Another good book is Ian Rutters book...go to amazon.com and type in his name...its the fishing companion to the smoky mountains....he addresses the park by section with maps and discription of the streams....you can get a good used copy for $11
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM

flyred, she what!!?? She put it up till Christmas!?!?!? Talk about the gift of being longsuffering!!

Joefred not only did she do that but she bought me a new sage rod from LRO and has put it up untill christmas. She also bought me some nice new underarmor gear and guess what its under the tree. I thank god for a good wife..............but man she know how to make a guy suffer.