Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 AM

JoeFred--I like the idea and will be keenly interested in seeing where it goes. As for the issue of revealing streams, I used to agonize about that on a fairly regular basis. Even today, I won't highlight a fine stream which can't stand a lot of pressure when writing for a national magazine. However, I've gradually come to the conclusion that they don't belong to me, although I guess you could make a staunch argument that the process of discovery does belong to me (or to others who go to the trouble to do the research, bushwhacking, and exploration to find such special places). That being duly recognized, most of these small, remote streams will always be protected by two considerations--first, the fact that they are back of beyond and require considerable effort and time to reach and second, only a small segment of the angling population is drawn to small streams because they are typically quite difficult to fish.

In other words, I see no problems whatsoever with listing them.

Jim Casada

www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM

The "Back of Beyond" streams web page now has a form for submitting requests to log trips to the remote waters. There are certain to be some bugs that will have to be worked out, but please give it a look see.

Last edited by JoeFred; 12-15-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM

JoeFred--I submitted a sample entry and you can see if it goes through. I had a bit of trouble navigating the list of streams and wonder if you should remove the requirement to enter one's favorite forum. Folks might not recall the site address and will just quit at that point. Just a thought, especially since I'm not sure of the value for that particular info (although there may be something I'm missing, since I'm not exactly cutting edge on such things). Anyway, keep at it and I feel, over time, this could be really interesting. As you may know, Bobby Kilby has been doing something like this, in a one-man quest, for many years. Jim Casada
Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Good points, Jim. I dropped the forum address requirement and added a drop list of three forums in the region I am aware of, with people having the option of adding others using the comments field. We need some filtering of what will inevitably be submissions by imposters.

I'll look at navigation improvements.

Thank you for contributing. Now if we can only get Bobby to pitch in.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 12-15-2009 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Went with the word "imposters"
Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Wow! What an incredible piece of work. Wish you much success. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks very much, Silvercreek. I posted a formal annoucement at

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=13301

JF
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
At some point I'll try to find some time to go through, stream by stream, at least for those drainages I know best, and check your size classification. I suspect most ones I might question would be the break between small and tiny. There have to be many hundreds, if not thousands, of branches in the Park.
I have since redesignated a few of the "T" (Tiny) streams as "VS" (Very Small) and all the rest as "U" for Uncategorized thusfar. Over time, I hope to determine the size of a number of them. Everyone's input is most welcome.

JF