Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 PM

Default Panama City

I'm in the Air Force and have been blessed to be stationed in Maryville for the last eight years. In December I will be transferred to Panama City. I'm going to start some inshore flyfishing in St Andrews Bay as quickly as possible. I've never done any saltwater flyfishing. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Kevin, PC has an FFF chapter, St. Andrew's Fly Fishers. Might be worth calling the chapter pres. and attending some meetings once your settled. Good luck to you and the family on your new assignment and don't be a stranger around here.... Gary
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Strip-Set!!!!!!!!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM

look into crooked island just outside mexico beach.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks guys. Will there be any action in January? Is there a particular rod/reel setup I should consider?

Gary - I'll def look into FFF. I'm gonna stay a member of LRCTU, because I plan to retire in the Townsend area. I'll be back in a few years.

CB - My strip set is ok, but my double haul is awful...

Sam - Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Hi Kevin,

I'm going to miss both of you. I'm sad you are leaving. Send me your new contact information when you get there. I will be glad to help you with the double haul before you leave. Just let me know when you want to practice.

To the East is beautiful St. Joe Bay. Take your kayak out to the State Park on Cape San Blas and launch her. Paula and will probably be fishing there a lot over the next few years. We are customizing our boat for saltwater and plan to use it there. The water is clear and redfish, trout and other species are abundant. I would have a 9' 8 weight or 9 weight. Either one would be fine. On the other side of the Cape is St. Vincent Island and Indian Pass. I think you will enjoy your new home. I'll be glad to see you move back though.

Byron
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Welcome to Panama

Kevin-Byron sent you my email and ph'#.He mentioned you're moving to P.C. and Tyndal AFB.I can help you out.I have a 2br/1ba cottage for rent on Deer Point Lake which is 20 min from Tyndal.Our son was living there before he died and we have just re-painted it inside+out.Are going to put in new stove and kit.cabinets in next few days.Has a large screened porch facing the canal(3 to 4' deep)that leads out to lake.Has a covered dock you can catch bream off of.There's an old 16' boat there that's motorless but floats.It's about 1/4 mile to lake which is 5000 acres and mostly spring fed by 3 streams.Use google earth to find position.5420 Noname Rd.Youngstown,fla.32466.Great fishing in the bays here.Bay County has more shoreline than any county in North Fla.Between Tyndal and Shell Island is East Bay.Mostly flats 2' to 8' deep.If you have a boat,I'd recommend the Bonito fishing at the pass.They strike like crazy and will take 100 yds 1st run!No boat?Stand on the rocks at the jetties and catch'em.Bluefish also.BTW the rent is $700/month.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I already have a deposit on an apartment, but really appreciate the offer. I'm very excited to get down there and throw some flies!