Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 PM

Default Mplp 11/16/09

Another great day of November wet wading and dry fly action. The numbers were even better today than yesterday on Road Prong.

The first fish of the day came as I dapped this guy as I was crossing Ramseys Prong to get upstream on MPLP.

When prospecting I always start with a small, olive woolybugger.

I then switched to a dry/dropper and picked up a few more.

Same as yesterday - always a good sign:

When they started keying on the dry, I took off the dropper and picked up the nicer fish of the day.

I quit on this guy, right at the mouth of Ramseys. This bulldog was a handfull on the bamboo!

What a great two days - can't wait for spring!

Chris
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 PM

That last rainbow is beautiful. I've noticed that when the Park rainbows get 12+", their cheeks turn really crimson, just like yours.

And is it me, or do the brookies in the Greenbrier/Cosby side of the Park seem to have redder fins? Or is it my medication again?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM

eastprong,
According to Byron's fishing reports, the colors on the brookies get more vivid when they're spawning. Might account for it.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 PM

Awesome looking catches. I to love the olive wooly bugger. I also like the black and brown wooly buggers. Do you prefer rubber legs on yours or no rubber legs?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM

WVbrookie,

That last rainbow looks like one I caught near the Ramsey Mouth the weekend before last. It was my best wild bow of the season. I have noticed good colors the last two weekends as well on Greenbriar, Rough Fork and the Thunderhead on Sunday. Nice to be able to wet wade and catch fish on dries in the middle of November. A first for me
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM

The colors on the rainbow cheeks or the really red fins on the Cosbrier brookies Are things I've noticed throughout the season. Anyone else?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 PM

Beautiful fish. Love to see the fall colors on the specks. Congrats on a great trip and thanks for sharing some great photos.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Nice pics. I have fished that section from the first bench on the trail to the mouth of Ramsey. There are some tough spots to get around alone up there. I caught 2 fish up there the size of your bigger ones and lost count of the small ones up there. What dry/dropper combination did you use?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM

I was using a 16 black EHC with an 18 BHPT dropper.

The 18 BHPT is my "go to" dropper, it seems to always produce. The previous day, on Road Prong, I saw some little black stones coming off so I switched to the black EHC and they liked it. In my experience little black stones don't generate much dry fly action, so it could have been the caddis profile.

They literally shredded my black EHC on MPLP!

As for the ruggedness of the area (both MPLP and Road Prong): I did a lot of scrambling I probably shouldn't have, being solo. I do a lot of solo backcountry hiking and fishing. When I am solo I simply take more care on foot placement and secure footing before committing my movements. Thoughts? I am sure I'm not the only soloist out there - I actually ran into another soloist going into Ramsey as I was going out.

Chris
Old 11-20-2009, 08:54 AM

Chris,
I fish alone the majority of the time. As you said, I try to take care with where I step but even then you make a bad move at least once or twice per trip.
I thought I had really messed up back in the Spring, I was up near the AT in the Jefferson Nat'l forest of VA. There was still a lot of leaf debris lodged up the boulders along the river from previous flooding. I stepped on what looked solid and went crashing through with one leg into a 4 foot crevice in the rock. I was stuck and dizzy with pain for a couple of minutes at least before I got my head together and pulled myself up to solid ground. You just never really know but it's always a good idea to tell someone where you're at and have a "check in" time.