Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-17-2009, 01:51 PM

Default big fat gap into Slickrock

If I access this way, am I south or upstream of the part of the creek that is the TN/NC boundary? I'm trying to determine if I need an out of state fishing license.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM

When you get down to slickrock, technically you will be in North Carolina. The state line is only a short way downstream.

You will know when you are at the state line when you see Big Stack Gap Branch Trail (#139 I think) across the creek heading up the ridge.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM

well, not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks for the info.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 PM

If you are within the park boundaries, either states license is sufficient. Sorry, but I don't know the location you are talking about as to whether this is of any help.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 PM

Slickrock Creek is not in the Park, and with portions serving as the boundary between N.C. and TN but other sections being wholly in N. C., knowledge of the geography is important. Jim Casada
Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Default Slickrock Access

If you are going to fish, I would enter Yellarhammer or the trail that enters at the mouth of the creek on Calderwood. This time of year you stand a chance of finding some big run-up browns out of the lake. They can't get past the first waterfall though about a mile in, so they will be in the lower creek or in the big pool at the base of the first water fall. If my memory is good, you can walk in and out the same way by the lake, or catch yellarhammer gap ........ but it is a tough one, pretty good hump over a ridge. The last time I was through there, there were a lot of trees down on the trail. I bet they are long gone though, it's been 10 years! Where does the time go?!
If you go let us hear about it... and take a bunch of golden stone nymphs 14's to 6's. Make sure nothing is out in your car either, historically a lot of break-ins at the Big Fat Gap parking area. You might call the Cheoah Ranger district for current info.
Best,
john
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Thumbs up Slickrock Creek

Mr. Mike, Did you ever go fish Slickrock? I used to visit it few times each year. Browns you know and a real jewel in years past but I think the drought conditions in 07 hurt it some.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 PM

WRN--Slickrock is but a pale shadow of what it once was in its glory days. Maybe most forum visitors know, but the was this stream was stocked has always fascinated me. Fingerly browns were carried in by members of the CCCs in specially made aerated backpacks. Obviously the fish, to use the mountain parlance, "took holt." While I'm sure the two years of drought had a negative impact, the fishery was in abject decline well before that. This was once a stream with almost predictable green drake hatches in May. No more. I don't have the answer but suspect acid rain is at least part of the problem.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 PM

Smile Slickrock creek is the state line so Tennessee liscense is fine

In fact anywhere in Joyce Kilmer Wilderness is ok just to have Tennessee liscense like in the park.

Drought last 2 years killed all the Browns that used to thrive there.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Slickrock Creek's Condition

Is any study being launched to maybe check the creeks current condition as to aside from drought why the decline in the brown trout has occurred?