Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 PM

Default Hello from Indiana

Hello to all;

I'm a United Methodist pastor who lives/pastors in West Lafayette, Indiana. I've pretty much fly fished all over this great country and love any water with trout in it! Don't have too much experience with tailwater fisheries so I'm headed down your way in another week or so. Figure to fish around the Bristol, TN. area. Fished the South Holston last year and really enjoyed myself but can't say that I really "get" tailwater fishing yet but I'm working on it. I'm used to fishing smaller water.

I mostly trout fish in Michigan and the spring creeks of Wisconsin. Had a great couple of weeks in the Yellowstone area this past September. I love my Sage fly rods and use them lots but honestly I prefer bamboo and fish it mostly.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I look forward to gleaning some wisdom from this board on tailwater fishing and getting to know some of the "regulars."

Pat
(the FlyFishingPastor)
Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Flyfishingpastor, I am a baptist preacher here in alabama and would like to say welcome to the board. I love the way we can commune with God in this sport and enjoy his great creations. Welcome and nice to meet you.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM

Flyfishingpastor, just wanted to say welcome to the board. I myself and just a fishing addict and former Marine Artilleryman. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trip, and look forward to hearing about your success.
John
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I look forward to settling in and getting to know the forum and its members. I belong to a number of other fly fishing forums and they certainly do help one pass a long mid-western winter evening while waiting for spring! Can you tell the fishing is already marginal here with our warm-water fishery? I envy our southern friends that can fish all year long!

Pat
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Flyfishingpastor--Welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find it informative and educational, and from my perspective the folks here show great good sense in being opinionated without being obstreperous.
Since you are a man of the cloth, I have to share my favorite epitaph. It just happens to focus on a grand old mountain angler who grew up in the heart of the Smokies, Mark Cathey. He's buried in the Bryson City Cemetery (I grew up in Bryson City) and his tombstone reads:
Mark Cathey, 1871-1944
Beloved hunter and fisherman,
Was himself caught by the Gospel hook,
Just before the season closed for good.

Incidentally, the words were written by a Baptist minister, Rev. W. Herbert Brown, who was an avid angler as well as a friend of Cathey's.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Pastor Pat,
Welcome to the message board. I'm a Deacon in a Baptist church but please don't hold that against me.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Jim - I love that epitaph! Who could ask for much more? A hunter, a fisherman and he got his priorities right in the end? May they say something similar about me!
Deacon Jeff - I try not to hold much of anything against a brother who's also a fly fisher!

Thank you gentlemen for your welcome! Very hospitable place!

Pat
Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Pat,

My dad is a retired United Methodist preacher (89 now). His first church was Townsend Campground Methodist (before we went and got united), just about a half mile from LRO. We both now attend the same UM church in Maryville, about 20 miles from Townsend. Would love to have you visit us next time you're in the Smokies.

Glad to have you with us.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Charlie;

Next time I'm in your area, I'll take you up on it. Thanks for the invite!

Pat
Old 11-28-2009, 04:29 PM

Just a quick update. Due to the heavy generation schedule, we (my wife and I) were only was able to get out for a 1/2 day float (my preference is wading) the afternoon before Thanksgiving Day. The weather was very nice for this time of year and it was a very relaxing afternoon spent on the water. We both caught several fish and enjoyed ourselves. Most of the fish were in the 10" - 13" class, but my wife caught one hen brownie that went about 16" and I caught her BIG boyfriend - a bruiser that went a tad over 26" - right at take out time. Great trip. Oh, yeah. I'm goin' back!

Pat