Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Denver 1911 and Crockett--I'm fascinated by your tale and postings on the wreckage. Do you have any idea of when the accident occurred? I haven't fished the area in question in years and, oddly enough given my local connections, never heard of this. Rest assured I plan to delve deeper, and any additional information you have would be most welcome. Meanwhile, I need to plan a spring trip which will put me in that area, although as someone in his late 60s, I'm not quite as eager to venture such distances as once was the case. Still, it sounds like something I'd love to look at, photograph (and as I plan to do forthwith), research. Thanks for an intriguing tidbit of Smokies lore.
Jim Casada
Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I am just curious is it a piece of the plane wreckage that sits along side of the Appalachian Trail near Snakeden Ridge Trail. That's about 12-14 miles as the crow fly's now I am curious.

There is also some wreckage on Snakeden Trail itself. The wreckage near the AT looks to be some sort of military aircraft. And Jim I bet if you shared some of your fishing knowledge you couldget a really good Sherpa to carry your stuff up the trail for you.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Denver 1911 and Crockett--I'm fascinated by your tale and postings on the wreckage. Do you have any idea of when the accident occurred? I haven't fished the area in question in years and, oddly enough given my local connections, never heard of this. Rest assured I plan to delve deeper, and any additional information you have would be most welcome. Meanwhile, I need to plan a spring trip which will put me in that area, although as someone in his late 60s, I'm not quite as eager to venture such distances as once was the case. Still, it sounds like something I'd love to look at, photograph (and as I plan to do forthwith), research. Thanks for an intriguing tidbit of Smokies lore.
Jim Casada
When I first saw it (2005), I emailed the park service asking about it. Here is a quote from their response.

"This crash is an Air Force F-15 that crashed in 1992 during a trainingexercise. The air space above the Smokies and surrounding national forestsis a military training area due to the low population density.Park RangerGeorge Minnigh"
Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Tried to find out some more info on this, but the only thing I could find was that it was a mid air collision between two F 15's during a training exercise. One pilot landed safely and the other ejected and survived. Bet that put the trout down for a while!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:18 AM

spotlight the wreckage on the AT near snake den ridge is a military F4 Phantom that crashed in 1984 near the summit of Inadu knob. I saw that in Jeff Wadley's book mayday mayday. He is a member of this sight and knows a lot about all the plane crashes in the smokies.

I don't remember anything in the book about the F-15 crash and I don't have my copy with me at the moment since I am out of town for Thanksgiving. The fisherman on the bradley fork trail who told me about the wreckage said it looked like a huge jet engine had fallen off a plane flying overhead and was laying right in the middle of the stream. He said it was way too big for anyone to ever remove it. He didn't mention any other wreckage nearby but maybe he didn't notice anything off the stream because it could have been overgrown and all.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Crockett, Silvercreek, and Denver--Thanks for all the info. I actually went straight to my shelves to consult Mayday, Mayday, which I own, but for some reason I can't lay my hands on the book. That might have something to do with having a collection of books which numbers somewhere around 15,000 and a system of organization that would be a librarian's worst nightmare.

I'm pretty sure the book (if not it, another one) does cover another plan crash with which I'm all too familiar. Filetus (sp.?) Ferguson was a local pilot who had his own landing strip in the Ferguson Fields (now owned by the Cherokees) along the Tuckasegee River. A local soldier was about to be AWOL and he convinced Ferguson to fly him back to his base. The weather was bad, with a low ceiling and fog, and they should never have taken off. Ferguson flew into a mountain and they were both killed. The Ferguson family were members of the Presbyterian Church in Bryson City, the congregation in which I grew up, and I was visiting my parents when the plane was reported lost. The preacher announced it in church and a few hours later the worst was confirmed.
I've read the book though and don't remember this being covered.

As for the Cabin Flats area, I've been in that area since 1992 but probably just didn't wade that particular stretch of stream. I don't know that my knowledge would draw interest from even the most inexpensive of Sherpas, but I intend to get there sometime in the coming year and check it out for myself.

Meanwhile I'm going to check with my brother and Ken Wise, two of the most knowledgeable folks I know when it comes to Park trails, and see what they have to say.

Again, thanks to all of you for insight on one more of the seemingly endless areas of interest in the Park's human history.

Jim Casada

www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-26-2009, 07:08 PM

This is all very interesting, I will return to Cabin Flats in the spring and check it out, I love doing off trail hikes and fly fishing gives off trail a whole new meaning. Thanks for all of the interesting info on these plane crashes.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM

Spotlight--We obviously share a love of off-trail stuff. That's why I devoted so much attention to "Back of Beyond" in my book, and that's why a phone conversation earlier today with my brother left me envious (he had bushwhacked, or as he put it bushwhacked and briarwhacked, to Kelly Bennett Peak yesterday--we both knew Doc Kelly Bennett and from the peak bearing his name you can get a fine view of Bryson City and our boyhood home).
Who knows, come warmer weather we may cross paths up Cabin Flats way, because I've got to see that wreckage.
Jim Casada
Old 11-26-2009, 11:17 PM

Are you planning on doing an overnight at the campsite when you go? If so and you want some company I'd be glad to join you. Surely someone has to have a picture of that engine? I am glad I didn't find it I probably would have thought aliens had landed or something. I have been a good ways up a few streams so far, and it gets a bit erie at times when your alone.

All kinds of things run through your head like what if I were to slip and get knocked out? fall and break a leg? encounter a rouge bear, and then you get a strike and it's game on and you forget all of the dangers involved. Somehow I just don't think I'd be satisfied parking my truck and getting out and fishing to me it's the journey I am packed now for another 2 day trip up Bradly Fork. I fished today near Tremont the water temp was 42 and I had 2 small strikes in 2 hours of fishing, I hope to do better on Bradly Fork on Saturday the weather tomorrow is supposed to be cold and windy so no fishing til Saturday.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Spotlight,

I remember Ian Rutter doing on a report on spec fishing and seeing this engine a little over a year ago. He didn't name the stream, but I am sure that's where he was by the distances he hiked, etc. He also mentions the engine in Guide book for spec fishing in the Park. He says the engine is just below the junction of Chasm and Gulf prongs.

Neal