Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 PM

Default St. Croix Legend Elite series

Looking for a new bass rod for next year. I've tried TFOs,(didn't like) and own and broken twice, a Sage XP. I'm looking at the SC LE in 7wt. I've fished several St. Croix legend ultras and like them pretty well. Anyone got experience with the LE series? Are they worth the extra money?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:43 PM

I was actually looking at those 2 rods on St. Croix's web site last night. I can't really offer an opion since I haven't cast either one. But, I thought that it was interesting that the LU is lighter (3.8 oz) than the LE (4.2 oz) in the freshwater version and (4.5 oz) in the saltwater version. I may have those weights wrong, but that was what I remember them being. I actually prefer the look of the LE in the freshwater version and have heard some really good things about the 8wt. I really like St. Croix rods, but wish they would use snake guides in thier lower line weights rather than the single foot guides. Not an issue with the 7wt and up as they use snake guides.
If you get a chance to compare them or decide to get one let us know what you think. I probably want be buying one anytime soon, but right now I think that a 7wt. would be the next rod on my wish list.
Mike
Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM

I think, and I could be wrong, but the extra weight on the LE might be from the 2 coats of slow cure finish on the blank. The LU has matte green blanks with finish on the guide wraps only. Might be a difference in the strippers or the reelseat also. Its not enough difference that I would probably notice though.
I was comparing the St. croix LU, and LE series to the G-loomis GLX and the Scott STS and they are all very close in weight, but the latter two are more pricey and no one around here carries them.
I have owned 3 different LU series rods, a 3wt, 4wt, and a 5wt. They have all been good rods and SC has always given me good warranty service.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 PM

two other decent and cheaper rods are the loomis cross current (not the glx cc) and the redington cps. the cps is very lightweight, but they don't make it anymore. I think the current cpx series is the same thing. I have the cross current in a 6wt and the redington in an 8wt if you ever want to cast them. I've never cast a st. croix that I didn't like.

Last edited by ttas67; 11-25-2009 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: none
Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 PM

Default Legend Elite

Hi Gary,
I had the opportunity to upgrade a Legend Ultra early this year to a Legend Elite and I have really enjoyed it. It has good backbone to it and it does not wear you out at the end of the day. I have found it to be a great tailwater rod in the 9ft. 5wt. category. I have let a number of clients use it and they give it high marks. I believe you would be happy with a new one.
Hugh
Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
It has good backbone to it and it does not wear you out at the end of the day.
Hugh
Those are very important things to consider when you spend 8-10 hours casting heavily weighted streamers or bulky, wind resistant flies on a river or lake. Some of the rods I've bought were just too stiff and wore out my wrist. Your casting technique gets sloppy and frustration sets in. Some of my rods (fiberglass 6-7 wts) are fantastic on smaller freestone rivers, but open tailwaters with winds that gust and change direction constantly (Holston, FB ), a rod with backbone and a comfortable grip is a necessity.
I will be testing out a couple of rods soon (Daniel has them on order for me). Thanks for all the advice fellas.