Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Default Trout Fishing in SW Virginia

I'm planning on fishing in SW Virginia the later part of December. I've heard of the Smith River, and Whitetop Laurel Creek, but I don't know anything about these fisheries. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go, and what sections? Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

May want to check this. At least it gives you maps for state recognized trout streams. Other than than maybe try to contact a local TU chapter and ask. I have had success in doing that in other areas of the country that I may be travelling to for a brief stay.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/trout/maps.asp
Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
May want to check this. At least it gives you maps for state recognized trout streams. Other than than maybe try to contact a local TU chapter and ask. I have had success in doing that in other areas of the country that I may be travelling to for a brief stay.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/trout/maps.asp
Hoosier-

Thanks, I'll check it out. Have a good Turkey Day!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:48 AM

I know Bath County pretty well (Hot Springs,VA would be your central mapquest location).
They have a good tailwater in the Lower Jackson. They have delayed harvest at Back Creek. They have a good trophy section on the Upper Jackson. Good put n take and wild trout fishing on the Bullpasture.
There's pay fishing throughout the area on private streams but none is prettier then the Cascades managed by The Homestead Resort.
All of these should show up on your VA trout fishing map link.

Holler at me if you need anymore info.
Also-does anyone else on this board fish this area? If so, I'd love to trade info.

4X
Old 11-26-2009, 01:10 PM

I have fished the Smith a handful of times over the last 3 years, mostly in the winter when other streams slow down. There is a 3 mile "trophy" section where you can only keep two fish over 16 inches and this is where I have fished the most. Most of the fish I have caught are browns in the 9-12 inch range, but there are a lot of them, although they can be tough to catch.

I think the best spot on the trophy section is a long riffle that is near the end. If you enter the trophy section at the lower parking section, follow the railroad tracks just around the first bend and then hop in and you will be at the bottom of the riffle. I have most luck using with a caddis with a pheasant tail tied about three feet below it. The caddis is mostly just an indicator, but occasionally they will take it.

Fish will also sip midges in the slack water, but they are spooky.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 PM

I believe the Arcadia exit off of 81 has access to many miles of some good trout water. North, middle and Jennings creeks.....I remember some fun fishing there in years past. May be worth a look if you are in the area....

Good luck,
GS
Old 11-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default My Hometown!!

Hey,

I learned to fish on Whitetop Laural. That river flows straight through Damascus- my hometown.

Its a pretty good creek, but when I was home for Thanksgiving, I only caught one fish. Mom said the nights had been pretty darn cold, so that may have something to do with it.

If you decide to fish Whitetop, though, there is a section that runs from Mount of Straight Branch parking area to Taylor's Valley. This is designated artificial lures only wth some size limits. Its really the best section of the river.

A better option, though, would be to head over to Buller Fish Hatchery, which is on the South Fork of the Holston near Riverside, VA. This creek runs MUCH warmer and has almost a tailwater quality as bugs hatch almost everyday. Below the dam over there is the Trophy Section which holds some true monster browns. Above the dam is only flyfishing, so it stays fairly prestigious. That woud be the best bet for any sort of action... I apologize that I cannot remember the exact directions to the SF of the Holston, but its right at Buller State Fish Hatchery, so the DGIF webpage that was posted about should help you out.

Best,
Justin

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com