Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Nantahala River report 11-21-09-just FYI.

This info. is from my son-in-law who went up to our cabin on the river[Nantahala] this past weekend. He had a friend visiting from Colorado who is a flyfishing guide there.
He asked where his bud might try flyfishing in the area. Told him [from advice here] to simply walk across the yard and into the river[main flowage section close to Fast River Rafting]. DID tell him that it might be too high to wade much. [And, it WAS way up-my SIL thought 'the dam was open' !]
Anyhow, the 'Co. guide' walked a couple hundred yds. upstream to some shallower water [got casting room] and caught 3 'bows 18-19" on a san juan worm fly in a short time. [NOT what I'd consider exceptional trout water at all].
He then went down behind the NOC itself and caught 5 more and 2 browns.
So it seems that Jim and the 'Nantahala at high flow' crew are correct:-). That's good results for less than 2 hrs. actual fishing.
Personally, I'm waiting for the flow to decrease so I can wade where I'd 'like' to position myself for optimal fishing. I've 'swum' my share of those rapids out of solo canoes and kayaks without having ANY interest in trying it in waders with over a thousand bucks worth of equipment to wreck! Going into a big hydraulic in waders CAN'T be life enhancing:-).
Anyone have any idea if Duke Power will stop the overflow down the 'creek' if the rains let-up? Or is the 'overflow' just a natural 'safety valve' ? I've never gone up to the lake itself and have no idea of it's lay-out. Ghost
Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Here's what Duke Energy has to say. http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/lev...nantahala-lake I read that to mean they want to open it for fishing over the Thanksgiving weekend.

From what I heard, Duke needed to do two things this winter:

One was to rewind a turbine in the powerhouse. For that purpose they shut the powerhouse down on Oct 4 with the intent of completing the work by the end of they year. I'm assuming they would start generating as soon as the work was completed.

The second was to do some work on the dam at Nantahala Lake. I understood they wanted to pull the lake down 50 feet, but I could easily be mistaken about that - I never saw that number in print. The website says it's down about 13 feet now with a target of bringing it down another 8 feet. http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/nan...ake-levels.asp That's why I say I could easily be mistaken. The problem they've had this fall is with above average rainfall that keeps putting water back in the lake everytime they make some headway.